Omniproposal For Alexan, Walmart, Public Transit

It occurred to me today that there might be a proposal that could unite (or bring together in opposition) the many disparate positions about the Alexan Heights & Yale, Wal-Mart & Public transport in the Heights. Why don't we build a monorail from the Walmart parking lot to the Trammel-Crow parking lot along 5th & Yale, bypassing the infamous bridge of death on Yale? No need for pedestrian sidewalks along the also infamous non-sidewalk zone in the Walmart tax-rebate zone. Maybe something both pro & anti-development folks could agree on??? Hee, hee, yeah, I do know better.

I'm with you brother, right after my dream of converting the astrodome to a state- of- the- art  combo vertical/aquatic indoor farm is realized.

Sigh, it's too bad niche isn't here to see the FNG ideas. I think he'd love the idea of (almost) door to door transport to walmart.

In the spirit of the historic ordinance, I think it'd be preferable to buy a Victorian-era steam train for the trip to Walmart and back, with mule drawn carriages as backup in case the steam engine breaks down.

Oh hell no! RUDH and Steampunks? I'm not sure I can take that...

slide34_t620.JPG

In keeping with the 1920s heyday of the Heights, I think the proper public transit medium should be electric streetcars. There is room to put a streetcar line along Yale if we cut down the trees along the side of the road. We can replace lost caliper inches of trees by planting more trees in the Walmart parking lot.

• Like 2

And while we're at it lets raise some money to restore one of the *Local* power plants to generate electricity for this line. In keeping with the Victorian era, it should be powered by coal.

Edited by TGM

Lets be even more historic and have horses readily available...

But why would you need a a horse when public transit is the wave of the future. Horses are going away, but the Heights trolly is here to stay.

What is going to happen when congestion on the Yale bridge reaches a point where you are at a standstill and the manure is piling up? The sheer amount of horseflurf could impact the structural integrity of the bridge for generations.

Well, what the hell, I'll go all in...let's power the electric street cars with wood fired furnaces from the oaks we cut down along Yale... or wood fired locomotives?

Do they make wood-fired monorails?

In the end it's all run on gas or gasification of something.

It seems to me that Horseflurf is already available in abundance on HAIF. If it was only so abundant in reality it could power all of the transportation needs for the area for generations.

This is actually one of the most rational transit conversations that I've had on HAIF.

We can only use horseflurf of a certain size and color

All petitions for horseflurf that do not meet these standards will through the Houston Association of Horseflurf Connoisseurs petition process. This elite council will take into consideraton each submitted request, judging the provided samples for that special vintage flavor & complexity so savored by the elite.

St+Regis+1904+Polo+Cup+Greenwich+Polo+Cl

Edited by TGM

In the end it's all run on gas or gasification of something.

hmmm...well if gas or gasification of something is the driving force maybe all of us who are more or less lactose intolerant can agree to drink a glass of milk for breakfast and contribute to the common good...free methane for the urban biotrain! Maybe if it was fashioned along the lines of the little go-carts at Disney World that give you a steering wheel but keep you on a fixed track it would be acceptable to Houston car-lovers??? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hyperloop???...a people pipeline???, man, Texas should be all over this. With all our pipeline experience we could slap a people pipeline under the bayou and solve all our mobility problems in a flash. Just put people pipelines out to all the chemical plants along the ship channel, use their existing pipeline ROW and we'd get half the pickup trucks in Houston off the roads at shift-change time.

Hyperloop???...a people pipeline???, man, Texas should be all over this. With all our pipeline experience we could slap a people pipeline under the bayou and solve all our mobility problems in a flash. Just put people pipelines out to all the chemical plants along the ship channel, use their existing pipeline ROW and we'd get half the pickup trucks in Houston off the roads at shift-change time.

There are a few mass-transit folks that I would love to offer a complementary pig/pipeline ride.

• The title was changed to Omniproposal For Alexan, Walmart, Public Transit