Shaping Trees To Expose Utility Wires

The city has been in Heights neighborhoods recently to cut away portions of trees that pose some risk to utility wires.  I'm aware that the trees live in the area between the sidewalk and the road where the city can pretty much do what it wants; regardless, the work is done by men who don't appear to know or care about the long-term effects on the tree itself.  They cut a large V at the top to enable the wires to swing freely but potentially do serious damage to the tree, and move on to the next house.

I know that trees are a polarizing topic around here.  I hope, however, that we can agree that one of the things that makes the Heights so appealing is the tree-lined streets that grace the neighborhoods.

Has anyone or any group been successful in working out a solution to the problem?  Is there an alternative fix that homeowners can do on their own (at their own expense) that would satisfy the city?  A couple of neighbors and I were brainstorming and the only thing we could imagine is some sort of conduit that is supported by the tree branches and provides the wires an unencumbered path through the tree.  

Also, does the city provide any warning before the crews arrive?  I tried calling the city 311 line but the person on the other end of the phone, although friendly, wasn't very helpful.

HeightsTree_zps8aa513b7.jpg?t=1374009284

That work is usually done by the utility company, not the City. And you are lucky they didn't just cut the tree down entirely. Their only interest is keeping the lines clear - the trees are irrelevant.

• The title was changed to Shaping Trees To Expose Utility Wires

Archived