El Chico Restaurant/Monterrey House

Ashikaga

Over here, there used to be an El Chico Mexican Restaurant in Parkdale Mall in Beaumont, but it closed down a long time ago. I think that it was a chain. I went there many times. To me, it was just about the same as Monterey House. Are there any El Chico's over there in Houston?

Chet Cuccia

El Chico has been gone from Houston for a long time now. You'll still find some in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, where they were based, as well as in Oklahoma, and parts of East Texas. The closest location I know of that's still around is in Lufkin. According to their website they also have locations throughout the south, as far east as Florida and South Carolina, and north to Missouri and Kentucky.

Edit: According to their website, there's an El Chico in Lake Jackson.

That's great.  I remember eating at that location when I was 3.

There is one (#2) in Lakewood (Dallas).  I think they still do their Wednesday enchilladas.

Like I said, over here, there was an El Chico in Beaumont that closed down a long time ago. But I'm surprised to learn that you say that there are no more of them in a big city like Houston.

Chet Cuccia

I moved out of Houston about 13 years ago but if I remember correctly there was an El Chico at the corner of Bellaire and Westheimer in the old Kroger shopping center.

I moved out of Houston 28 years ago. Where is the corner of Bellaire and Westheimer? I remember them being essentially parallel to each other.

Jonesboro has one on Hwy 63.  We ate at one in the LR area a few years ago too.

Is is on the part of Highway 63 that goes to Trumann southeast, or the part that goes to Walnut Ridge northwest? I left Jonesboro in July of 1991. If it was there when I was there (1987-91) then I must have overlooked it. Or it must have been built after 1991.

Chet Cuccia

Is is on the part of Highway 63 that goes to Trumann southeast, or the part that goes to Walnut Ridge northwest?  I left Jonesboro in July of 1991.  If it was there when I was there (1987-91) then I must have overlooked it.  Or it must have been built after 1991.

Chet Cuccia

It's right off of 63 South @ Parker Road (going towards Trumann). It was built a couple of years after I moved here so it was built around 1994-1995. Jonesboro is a rapidly growing town and has changed a lot in the past 10 years. Do you remember Indian Mall on Caraway? It will soon become an extension of St Bernards Hospital (according to rumor) because a new two-story mall is being built at Highland and 49. I would say the population of Jonesboro has doubled since I moved here in 1992.

It's right off of 63 South @ Parker Road (going towards Trumann).  It was built a couple of years after I moved here so it was built around 1994-1995.  Jonesboro is a rapidly growing town and has changed a lot in the past 10 years.  Do you remember Indian Mall on Caraway?  It will soon become an extension of St Bernards Hospital (according to rumor) because a new two-story mall is being built at Highland and 49.  I would say the population of Jonesboro has doubled since I moved here in 1992.

From what I remember, St. Bernard's Hospital was downtown on Washington. The only things that I remember on U.S. 49 & Highland Drive is Jonesboro High School and a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant.

Chet Cuccia

From what I remember, St. Bernard's Hospital was downtown on Washington.  The only things that I remember on U.S. 49 & Highland Drive is Jonesboro High School and a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant.

Chet Cuccia

Apparently the hospital on Washington has a serious staph problem and will be moved to the new location (old Indian Mall) until it's under control. :o

I know there is a KFC on Caraway but I don't think there is one on Highland or 49.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to Houston. :)

What's a "threadjack?"

Chet Cuccia

I'm sure a threadjack is a non-malicious change of subject. Like partly what I'm going to do. I remember lots of El Chico's from the 70's, but I also remember from my childhood the VERY FIRST Monterey House. It was on Richey in Pasadena. A family restaurant, very old fashioned and campy with Spanish dancer dolls, a candy selection by the cash register and probably better food, as it was cooked by the owners. Sometime in the 60's I think they started to branch out and had a factory further down on Richey; I don't know if the original owners started franchising or they sold it to someone who did. My Dad remembered the owner's name but I forgot it and Dad passed away last May. We used to live nearby and it was a real treat to eat there. I grew up wondering why they used the California spelling and not "Monterrey", the Mexican spelling.

I'm sure a threadjack is a non-malicious change of subject.  Like partly what I'm going to do.  I remember lots of El Chico's from the 70's, but I also remember from my childhood the VERY FIRST Monterey House.  It was on Richey in Pasadena.  A family restaurant, very old fashioned and campy with Spanish dancer dolls, a candy selection by the cash register and probably better food, as it was cooked by the owners.  Sometime in the 60's I think they started to branch out and had a factory further down on Richey; I don't know if the original owners started franchising or they sold it to someone who did.  My Dad remembered the owner's name but I forgot it and Dad passed away last May.  We used to live nearby and it was a real treat to eat there.  I grew up wondering why they used the California spelling and not "Monterrey", the Mexican spelling.

I have the same memories as you do. I'm now 47. We lived in Houston from 1962-64. I remember us going to a Monterey House that was down on Telephone Road where it intersects with Reveille. I remember there being a golf ball driving range next to it. While we were inside eating, we could see people outside hitting golf balls. I also remember across the street was a supermarket then called Henke & Pilliot (now called Kroger).

I don't know if you saw the separate category that I posted about the Monterey House. One person responded asking if anyone remembered the piece of candy that they would put in the tortilla chip bowl. Then someone else responded by posting the recipe. I printed it and I gave it to my mother who said that she will make some of that candy for my dad (I won't be able to enjoy any of it because I've been a diabetic since 1998).

Chet Cuccia

• 3 weeks later...
Don't you mean the first Casa Ole?  And the Casa Ole #2 opened over near Pasadena Town Square.

I think you do.

Nope. It was Monterey House. I don't remember eating at any Casa Ole's, though I very likely did later--I went to Pasadena High School and graduated in 1969. Eating as a child with my parents at the MH would have been in the late 1950's. (The little candy they put in the basket was much later, BTW)

Oh, sweet lordy...I remember Henke & Pilliot, but this is the first time I ever saw it in print!  To me it was probably Heenky n peelot!

I lived in Mexico City for over a decade.  That candy used to be more typical of Northern Mexico and so was the type of food served at Monterey House.  The candy is very easy to make--in Mexico they use raw brown sugar (sold in rough cones) and sweetened condensed milk.

El Chico's started in Dallas or near there.  Supposedly because it was started with "Mama" and her son (s) "El Chico".  Their food was better than Monterey's once they franchised.  I went to the one in Austin and their chicken enchiladas were always a real poverty-stricken student's treat.

Do you remember the Henke & Pillot store that I'm talking about? Do you also remember Weingarten's and A&P?

• 10 months later...
This is the one on South Main from another topic.

ElChico.jpg

I guess that it's just like my belief about Stuckey's, that new chains are taking over. It looks like the days of Monterey House/El Chico/Felix are just about over. Maybe there's a new chain of Mexican restaurants taking over. But I only know of ones over here, such as Casa Ole. What Mexican restaurant chains are over there in Houston? Or maybe Taco Bell is taking over the whole country. In 1981 I worked at Pancho's Mexican Buffet in Houston. As far as I know, that chain folded. Maybe I'm also wrong about that.

I guess that it's just like my belief about Stuckey's, that new chains are taking over. It looks like the days of Monterey House/El Chico/Felix are just about over. Maybe there's a new chain of Mexican restaurants taking over. But I only know of ones over here, such as Casa Ole. What Mexican restaurant chains are over there in Houston? Or maybe Taco Bell is taking over the whole country. In 1981 I worked at Pancho's Mexican Buffet in Houston. As far as I know, that chain folded. Maybe I'm also wrong about that.

When I lived in Tulsa in the early 90s there was still a Pancho's Mexican Buffet there. Not sure if it is still open or not.

One thing I loved during my many years in Houston was Los Tios Mexican Restaurant's puff tortilla covered in queso. They really got the tortillas puffed up into a thin, crunchy balloon. Wish I knew how to do it. Are they still in business?

BTW, for what it's worth, I remember Henke & Pillot's store on Bellaire Blvd. in a shopping center on the north side of the street, near the train tracks that go through the city of Bellaire. There was also a movie theater there.

Archived