Burger Chef Restaurants

Ashikaga

Let us know what you find!

A good example is the closed car wash off the Gulf Freeway near Monroe that has a row of freestanding pylons.

Sorry, subdude...the car wash was demolished several months ago and replaced by a non descript convenience store/gas station.

One other kind of faded example of local googie I can think of. On the Gulf Freeway near UH there is a small beat-up looking round building with the classic googie folded-plate roof. It is right next to a motel. I'm not sure what it was originally.

i believe you are thinking of Chequer Imports. At least that what it says on the old sign.

45 northbound just before Cullen.

I think it was a used car lot....dunno what it was originally..somehow i thought it was an old Prince's Drive-in..but I don't remember why I thought that.

• 4 weeks later...
i believe you are thinking of Chequer Imports. At least that what it says on the old sign.

45 northbound just before Cullen.

I think it was a used car lot....dunno what it was originally..somehow i thought it was an old Prince's Drive-in..but I don't remember why I thought that.

There actually was a Prince's at that corner. Just north of the Chequer Imports

• 1 year later...
There actually was a Prince's at that corner. Just north of the Chequer Imports

I can tell you of two Burger Chefs that I visited. One was in Galveston on the seawall towards the East End. At the time there was a small amusement park near it that had a "Wild Mouse' ride.

A lot closer to home, there was a Burger Chef located in Bellaire on Chimney Rock (6700 block) just north of Bellaire Blvd. It was located near where the "M & M Hobby Center" is located. They had great Cheeseburgers and at this particular one..............Baklava! :D

I can tell you of two Burger Chefs that I visited. One was in Galveston on the seawall towards the East End. At the time there was a small amusement park near it that had a "Wild Mouse' ride.

The one in Galveston was between 12th and 13 on Seawall Blvd. It is now Benno's Restaurant. You can see the "bones" of Burger Chef in the current pic.

beachsidepic.jpg

The one in Galveston was between 12th and 13 on Seawall Blvd. It is now Benno's Restaurant. You can see the "bones" of Burger Chef in the current pic.

beachsidepic.jpg

There used to be Burger Chefs in almost every city over here in the Golden Triangle. Not anymore. My theory is is that the bigger chains were more popular. That's my theory about that roadside snack stop called "Stuckey's." I believe that when Cracker Barrels popped up along the interstates, Stuckey's starting folding.

Which was the one that had the sign much like Burger Chef but had the little chef running holding up a hamburger on a plate up in the air. I alway thought that was Burger Chef.

joe

Your description sounds like the "Big Boy" or "Bobs Big Boy" resturants to me. Which at one time, there was one in Bellaire, but later was a Champs. :D

After all of these years, I thought the building was gone. I know I have driven past there "lots" of times and did not realize it was still standing. Thanx for the pic of Benno's. Next time I go down there I will check it out. :)

This wasn't in Houston, but it's how they looked.

bc%20open%20kite%204.jpg

Over here many years ago, there was a burger drive-in called "Drake's." I remember one in Nederland and one in Port Arthur. It was a place where a carhop would bring your food out to you. You'd roll up your window a little so that she could affix the tray to it. They were demolished 30-35 years ago. Were there ever any "Drake's" in Houston, or were they just over here?

Your description sounds like the "Big Boy" or "Bobs Big Boy" resturants to me. Which at one time, there was one in Bellaire, but later was a Champs. :D

No, I remember Big Boy with his checkered overalls and fliped up hair. This was a sign much like Burger Chef even the little men looked very similar.

joe

beachsidepic.jpg

I've eaten there many times and never realized it was a Burger Chef.

I only ate at Burger Chef one time, in Austin next to Highland Mall (?) in the 60s. The condiments bar was such a pig sty that I never went back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I hear the words Burger Chef, I automatically think of the phrase "Burger Chef & Jeff." I don't know why. Were there any restaurants with the name "Jeff" added, or were there any commercials with a "Jeff" in them?

• The title was changed to Burger Chef Restaurants

Archived