How to change home security system battery?

Typically - if you open up the alarm panel box, you'll find a large battery sitting in it... they typically need to be replaced about every 3 years... you can unplug the red and black wires and remove the battery.

I've found that Altex on 290 or any of the Fry's electronics will carry replacements... take it with you and you should be able to find a match.

Good luck.

The batteries security/fire alarm systems use may not be easy to find, although you may try Radio Shack. The batteries are located in the main power panel. Probably 6 volt. Regardless, they are only used if your main power fails, so I wouldn't worry about it. Not going to affect your system otherwise. 

Ditto on what the others have said.  Also, this of course depends on your alarm company but this is definitely a DIY job.  I had a system from the 1980's (Moose) at my old house and didn't have a manual so I didn't understand the first error message I got on it - let's just say the service charge on what turned out to be a battery replacement was obscene.  If you don't have the manual for your system I would highly recommend finding it online somewhere

The batteries security/fire alarm systems use may not be easy to find, although you may try Radio Shack. The batteries are located in the main power panel. Probably 6 volt. Regardless, they are only used if your main power fails, so I wouldn't worry about it. Not going to affect your system otherwise. 

Depending on the system, a low battery may trigger an audible alert every few minutes which may or may not be very easy to disable. I suspect this is why the OP was seeking an immediate solution, as you really don't want to have to listen to the alerts for any length of time, especially in the middle of the night. 

• 1 month later...

Archived