Orange Show Is Saving The Big Blue Sax On Richmond Ave.

Pleak

• 3 weeks later...

A radio station marketer gave me 4 tickets to the Preview opening of B Blues in 1992 or maybe 93. Free food and booze. Miss Molly and the Whips opened for the Fabulous Thunderbirds. One helluva fun night.

This could be the perfect use for the Astrodome.

Now that's a very good idea. Recall that the Astrodome originally had two large, lighted Gulf signs on the outfield wall. Moreover, wouldn't it be great to have the original "lighted scoreboard" restored? There would be plenty of room left for other cultural items.

Here are a few that come to mind (though many are signs or other outdoor advertising items they need not all be):

1) That monorail car that has been mentioned many times in this Forum

2) The weather orb that used to sit on top of the old Conoco building

3) The sign/cube in front of Finger's Furniture on the Gulf Freeway (now that the store is going out of business for real (?)

4) The Bill Williams indians (I've already mentioned)

5) The Holder's Pest Control neon cockroach

6) The original entry gates to Astroworld

Please feel free to add others.

Now that's a very good idea. Recall that the Astrodome originally had two large, lighted Gulf signs on the outfield wall. Moreover, wouldn't it be great to have the original "lighted scoreboard" restored? There would be plenty of room left for other cultural items.

Here are a few that come to mind (though many are signs or other outdoor advertising items they need not all be):

1) That monorail car that has been mentioned many times in this Forum

2) The weather orb that used to sit on top of the old Conoco building

3) The sign/cube in front of Finger's Furniture on the Gulf Freeway (now that the store is going out of business for real (?)

4) The Bill Williams indians (I've already mentioned)

5) The Holder's Pest Control neon cockroach

6) The original entry gates to Astroworld

Please feel free to add others.

What a great idea. 

I would add the old Gulfgate Mall sign, the Gulf Building 'lollipop' and when the day comes it is to be torn down, the marquee from the River Oaks theater. 

I would be extremely proud of this city if it was able to find a way to renovate and donate the Astrodome to the Orange Show to let it become a museum of Houston. Neon signs and art cars!

Totally agree. The Astrodome as a giant Guggenheim-esque museum with criss-crossing ramps filled with art cars and space paraphernalia would be nothing short of amazing (and insane). Love it!

• The title was changed to Orange Show Is Saving The Big Blue Sax On Richmond Ave.

Archived