Abandoned Neighborhoods

DJboutit

• 9 months later...

Good Morning!

I am a film production manager local to Houston. Our upcoming project is a Stephen King Short. I'm looking for a very specific location -half built condos that give the appearance that the builder has gone bankrupt.  I thought I'd give everyone here a shout to see if you could point me in the right direction of a location such as this.  - an abandoned neighborhood might work but really would love some half built condos. These would be exterior shots only. We are shooting mid January. 

Thanks for your time! Have a great holiday!

Jules

I fear you are at least 20 years too late. There were plenty of examples of what you're seeking back in the 80s, but things are a lot different now. Houston is now riding the crest of the biggest building boom in its history. People are pouring into Texas and Houston by the thousands every month. 

Homebuilders can't build new homes fast enough and I've heard reports of used houses selling so fast that dueling house-hunters are submitting competing bids for the house they want. It is definitely a seller's market.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you will find any abandoned neighborhoods or townhouse complexes anywhere in the Greater Houston area. Here's what the City of Houston says about all this:

CITY OF HOUSTON BUILDING PERMITS

The City of Houston issued building permits totaling $5.88 billion in the 12 months ending November ’13, a 21.7 percent increase over the $4.83 billion issued during the 12 months ending November ’12. Residential permits increased by 18.9 percent, non-residential permits 23.3 percent.

Hope you have a great holiday too.

4 Decent size empty lots in a row south of Cavalcde from Evelyn St to Malvern St Elysian St to Maury St these lot back of to the rail road tacks

This is Right of Way clearance for extending the Hardy Toll Road to Downtown. 

This is a good size neighborhood Fairbanks north Houston Rd and Fairbanks White Oak Rd from Wood Bluff to Loren Ln before a flood there were 300 homes today not even 100 homes left neighborhood a good size pond to the west and south of the White Oak bayou

This neighborhood is named Woodland Trails West.  Most of the homeowners were bought out after their houses flooded multiple times.

• 2 weeks later...

DJboutit: I can assure you, those apartments on Hamilton aren't abandoned. Unless something has changed recently there are squatters living in there. Most of the empty buildings up that way have a resident or three living in them.

The old Kmart at 630 W. Little York instantly comes to mind...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/23/2013 at 9:37 PM, 9075 said:

This neighborhood is named Woodland Trails West.  Most of the homeowners were bought out after their houses flooded multiple times.

I lived in Woodland Trails West from 1989 to 2003. The homes flooded three times: 1998 during TS Frances, 2001 during TS Allison, and in 2002. By 2003 the homes were being demolished. Most are long gone.

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 9:36 AM, julescouch said:

I am a film production manager local to Houston. Our upcoming project is a Stephen King Short.

Was this film ever released? It's always fun to try to spot locations in films shot in Houston.

Archived