Holy Rosary Church At 3617 Milam St.

Astralis

Holy Rosary Church, built in the 1930s, is a traditional stone church in the Romantic style in down/mid-town. It's beautiful, unassuming, and when you walk in, you'll find the unexpected in Houston; iyou've traveled to Europe and visited the old churches, Holy Rosary will take you there. There's also some new construction to some of the auxiliary buildings that were torn down and built in the style of the church with stone. The aux buildings were originally brick buildings that lacked character themselves, no preservationist would miss them. What's taking their place, though, is something that will be worthy to preserve.

The church, though, is not built in the old style. Although they look like stone churches, and they are stone, the frame is steel and there is also insulation, except for perhaps the church which might just be steel and stone. The aux. buildings may have gypsum board in the interior, I'm not sure because they're not finished.

This makes the second of the two small churches in Mid-down that were recently renovated. The other similar-sized Methodist stone church had the stone cleaned on the outside and it's creamy white again - truly a beauty.

I hesitate to do this fearing my little church will become to crowded to attend, but HR has got to be the best little parish in Houston, if you're a traditionalist. It reminds me of the Catholic church when I was growing up, and for that, I am glad. No guitar playing, no holding hands, no lay people giving out the Eucharist, only alter BOYS, kneeling at the alter for communion. I love it! And the architecture is awesome, very subdued because it was built during the depression.

• 8 months later...
I hesitate to do this fearing my little church will become to crowded to attend, but HR has got to be the best little parish in Houston, if you're a traditionalist. It reminds me of the Catholic church when I was growing up, and for that, I am glad. No guitar playing, no holding hands, no lay people giving out the Eucharist, only alter BOYS, kneeling at the alter for communion. I love it! And the architecture is awesome, very subdued because it was built during the depression.

I too, love Holy Rosary. And they did a great job matching the new courtyard and activities building to the original church. I think the new building will be dedicated in the next few weeks and blessed by the Bishop.

On a side note, my grandparents were married at Holy Rosay Church (the building that was just taken down to make room for the new building) in 1919.

That is correct. Also, Annunciation (next to Minute Maid Park) has a Latin mass. I'm not sure of the times though. I think Holy Rosary is a 9:30 mass.

Correct as to Holy Rosary. 9:30 AM Sunday mass is in Latin.

Annunciation has English/Latin at 11:00 AM Sunday and Latin at 8:00 AM Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

This thread is worthless without pictures.

:)

As a Catholic, though, I am excited to hear of this maintained traditionalism. I'm actually a new Catholic (converted from Baptist in 2005), but I pretty well despise the modernism and I especially despise the ultra-modernized structures. To me, the greatest church is an old European gothic-style made of stone with real gold-leaf in the interior and a high altar!!

-Michael

• The title was changed to Holy Rosary Church At 3617 Milam St.

Archived