Grammercy Place Apartments At 242 Portland St.

matty1979

Does anyone have any pictures or stories of the amazing apartments? I have extremely limited information on these buildings and would love to know more.

Also does anyone have info on the restaurant that was located on Portland St.

Why could these apartments never get a historical landmark?

Cant wait to hear from all of you!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey! I actually live in these apartments. I was obsessed with them for a few years before I was able to track them down. There are actually 5 apartment buildings in the complex, though they have all just been sold. We have been told though, that the new owner intends to keep them as rental properties and maintain their historical appearance. Here are 2 links to what they look like inside: http://greatlandlords.com/details.php?id=49&av=Y and http://greatlandlords.com/details.php?id=23&av=Y&min_rent=0&max_rent=900&min_beds=0&min_bath=0&cats_ok=&dogs_ok=1&s=1. If you are interested, I think there is a one bedroom as well as an efficiency currently available. Hope this helps:-)

Thanks Laura! My girlfriend is the property manager over there. I have tried to get a better idea of what the property looked like years ago on www.historicariels.com but its quite hard to tell. Look forward to talking soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I took some photos of the old apartments located at Gramercy St @ Stella Link right before the buildings were torn down.  There were originally 12 apartment units there.   Later on, 12 new townhomes were built on that lot.

I also took some photos of the apartments on Bellefontaine, just on the other side of Stella Link.  Those old apartments have all been torn down now and new townhomes built there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Matt, didn't have your email, but I found a great article about the property. It was designed by F. Stanley Piper and was originally called the Gramercy Gables Apartments. Here is a link:http://www.houstonpress.com/2000-06-01/news/gramercy-gets-fingered/

Thanks for the link to the article.  Now I know which apartment complex the OP was asking about in the first post.  The original Gramercy Place Apartments (located at 4801 Montrose @ Banks St.) were very charming and I always admired them as I passed by on Montrose.

I managed to take some photos of some of the rear units back when the complex was being demolished, but sadly I never got a photo of the front of the aparments (as you viewed them from Montrose).

Thanks for the link to the article. Now I know which apartment complex the OP was asking about in the first post. The original Gramercy Place Apartments (located at 4801 Montrose @ Banks St.) were very charming and I always admired them as I passed by on Montrose.

I managed to take some photos of some of the rear units back when the complex was being demolished, but sadly I never got a photo of the front of the aparments (as you viewed them from Montrose).

I have a ton of pictures from before they were demolished but would love to see yours is there anyway you can post them? Thanks!!

I have a ton of pictures from before they were demolished but would love to see yours is there anyway you can post them? Thanks!!

The photos were taken with a digital camera so the shots are on backup disks which I have to locate first.  I'll post some of the images after I locate them.

It would be great if you could post some photos of the front of the Gramercy Apartments.  That's what people really remember -- the views of the complex as they drove down Montrose and looked over at the apartments.  It's easy to create photo albums using the imgur.com (free photo hosting) web site.

• 1 month later...

I have learned they will be tearing down 2 of the buildings in September. Including my old place at 242 Portland St. Absolutely sucks that beautiful historic buildings are thought of as wasted space. Very dissapointing.

I have learned they will be tearing down 2 of the buildings in September. Including my old place at 242 Portland St. Absolutely sucks that beautiful historic buildings are thought of as wasted space. Very dissapointing.

• The title was changed to Grammercy Place Apartments At 242 Portland St.

Archived