Oshman's Sporting Goods Stores

blue92

I remember a Holts sporting goods in down town Houston. Not sure but Oshman's may have swallowed them up when they came to town. To this day I still have a pair of binocular's with the Holt's sporting goods logo on them. I got them for Christmas some time about the mid fifties.

• 1 month later...

The first Oshman's I remember was the one at Palm Center. It was at the opposite end of the mall from the Penney's store, right next to the Lewis and Coker grocery store. I remember going to this store often, usually after having eaten at the old Thornhill's cafeteria.

I shopped at an Oshman's in Northline Mall which was at I-45 and Crosstimbers.And in Pasadena.Loved stopping at the Orange Julius.

I remember well the Oshman's on Main street in downtown Houston. I think that is the only one I have ever been in. I just remember it was a big store, other then than that, I do not remember a lot about them.

I remember the store well. When I worked downtown in the late 60's and early 70's I'd go there at lunch to buy tennis equipment....tennis was a big sport then, much like golf is today.

• 1 month later...

We shopped at Oshman's in Pasadena which, I think, was near what is now Pasadena Town Square. I still have a University of Texas pennant I bought there (hanging out in the garage) and a SWC football book I bought there as well.

the Oshman family is related to the Fingers family. Bobby Fingers was the one keeping both chains alive, and when he passed away, there went their family business.

I used to work for a dude whose wife's last name is Oshman... they are her cousins.

• 1 year later...

Dad and Mom purchased our very first sleeping bags from the Oshman's in Sharpstown. It was for camping near Conroe. The old tent cots, Coleman stove. etc. We also used those sleeping bags for Boy and Girl Scout camp. Then one Christmas Dad thought the boys needed firearms. He bought them pump b-b guns. They enjoyed shooting their little sister in the arms and butt. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I remember correctly, there was an Oshmans in Humble in the late 90's. Whether it was or wasn't, whatever store it was, me and a bunch of other guys used to skip school and try to kill each other in the tennis room. Thinking back, we used to skip ALOT of school, there were many times we'd wind up playing pool at Bogies or trying our best to get kicked out of K Mart or Deerbrook Mall.

Remember when you used to be able to buy guns and knives at Foley's?

I can't pinpoint when they got rid of the sporting goods, but I'd guess it was sometime in the 1980s.

I sure do. Bought a Sheridan pump-style pellet rifle from the downtown Foley's back in the 70's.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2015 at 10:58 AM, Lloyd-TX said:

I sure do remember them! Spent a lot of money at the Post Oak Oshman's and the Sharpstown Mall Oshman's back in the day.

Sharpstown Mall Oshmans was where I was, front and center for a MJ autograph signing,1986. Made it out of there before the minor stampede took place. He stuck his head through the door from behind folding tables and the crowd rushed, causing a stampede. He had to refrain from the signings.

• The title was changed to Oshman's Sporting Goods Stores

Archived