Wooden Skyscrapers

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a highrise made of wood in Houston? (if it can survive a hurricane)

• Yes
    • No

Would you like to see a 30-story wood structure in Houston? Not sure it would survive a hurricane. The last photo is 9-story one built in London.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/tall-wood-architect-gives-away-technology-build-wood-buildings-thirty-storeys-high.html

CONCEPTUAL:

exterior2.jpg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

REAL:

wt20rendering.jpg

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/nine-storey-apartment-built-of-wood-in-nine-weeks-by-four-workers.html

Would you like to see a 30-story wood structure in Houston? Not sure it would survive a hurricane.

Why wouldn't it? I have seen wood structures engineered to withstand 150 mph winds or more. I would bet that those cross laminated panels are already strong enough to withstand a hurricane.

But it has been known for centuries that heavy timber actually performs better in fire than structural steel

Huh? Prior to the advent of the Bessemer Process, steel was only used when necessary - and not as a structural material, to my knowledge. Does anyone have information that steel has been used as a building material "for centuries?"

Why wouldn't it? I have seen wood structures engineered to withstand 150 mph winds or more. I would bet that those cross laminated panels are already strong enough to withstand a hurricane.

As long as their functional and there are no major drawbacks, I'm down with it too. I wonder if it is tough getting past misconceptions with tenants and getting them signed.

That one in London looks pretty sweet. I wonder what it looks like up close.

Archived