How And Why Did You Choose Your Neighborhood?

VicMan

How did you choose the neighborhood you live in now? Why?

My father came to Houston in the 80's as he was transferred there. He hates the commute but he wanted good schools and green space. He would never have established a family inside a city like Chicago, Philadelphia, or Manhattan, New York, but he decided to start in the city limits of Houston after having a house in Bellaire because many of the suburban qualities exist in the neighborhood he chose.

I moved once, but I just went into another house in the same neighborhood.

A combination of location and price...plus sentimentality.

We bought my mother-in-law's house from her. This is the house my wife grew up in, and a house that's been in her father's side of the family since it was built in the 40's. So for one, my wife has history in the neighborhood, grew up here, loves the area.

Although the house needed A LOT of work (termite problems, 1940's wiring, foundation, plumbing, general lack of maintenance inside and out, etc, etc, etc), and despite the fact that we paid AT LEAST market value to a greedy mother-in-law :angry: ...at the end of the day we ended up with a 2500 sf house, inside the loop, for $125,000 (including renovations). What's not to like about that?

The only downside, (although it's something we were well aware of going into the deal), is that we're currently priced above most of the neighborhood. So if we had to sell quickly, we may or may not get our money back. Going rates for existing houses in the neighborhood are between $30,000 - $75,000, but that's for homes half the size of ours, and of course the low end of that range are homes in very poor condition (likely tear-downs). On a square-foot basis, I believe we're valued appropriately (approximately $50/sf)...and neither one of us plans on leaving this house any time soon. We have deep ties to Houston, so we're not leaving town, and we don't plan to leave this house for another...we worked too hard bringing this house back to life!

That being said, we also knew that our neighborhood is located such that it's best days are ahead of it. We assumed that this was a neighborhood on the way up. Improvements within the neighborhood in the past few years since we moved in have shown us that our assumptions were correct. A handful of new houses are being built in the area, and they're closer in size to our 2500 sf house than the original 800 sf houses. In addition, a lot of homes are being renovated. Vacant lots are being cleaned up.

The new homes are still affordable homes, which was important to us. Neither my wife nor myself aspire for our neighborhood to be the next West U. If it stays a blue-collar neighborhood, that's fine with us. We just ask that the homes be well-maintained...and at least on our street, that's not a problem. Just since we moved in 3 years ago, about 25% of the homes on our block have been renovated or updated in some way. Similar improvements are happening all over the neighborhood.

We're in a place we're both very comfortable in, a safe but affordable inner-city neighborhood. It's not perfection, but for us, it was a near-perfect match.

Guest danax
That being said, we also knew that our neighborhood is located such that it's best days are ahead of it.  We assumed that this was a neighborhood on the way up. 

We're in a place we're both very comfortable in, a safe but affordable inner-city neighborhood.  It's not perfection, but for us, it was a near-perfect match.

I bought my house 3 1/2 years ago because of the house itself, #1, and the neighborhood #2.

I was looking at anything in my price range (under 85K) inside the beltway. I had checked high and low and started to really want an old house to fix up. The Heights and 6th Ward were not realistic so I began to look on the East End, and North Main. At the time, really nothing was for sale in the N Main area but the East End was full of homes from 1900-1950, and cheap. When I saw an early 1900s Queen Anne cottage with a wraparound porch in Pecan Park on the East End, I knew I was going to buy it. It needed some attention but I'm having fun turning it into a special place. I paid 66K for it. All considered, this area gives good bang for the buck.

As for the neighborhood, like Timmy, I figured it was a good investment being only 6 miles from DT and close to both 45 and 610 S. I have not been disappointed living here either, a few minor complaints, but it's really ok. Perry Homes has a couple of nearby projects and some outside people are trickling in due to the proximity, the semi-historic albeit modest homes and the established neighborhood feel.

So, it was a combination of the style of house that I wanted in a neighborhood that I could afford at the time and, although I felt a bit like a pioneer, it has turned out good for me.

Growing up in the hills of Westchester County, NY, I longed for something other than the flat terrain of Houston. But of course it had to be affordable on one income, which meant ravine lots in Memorial were out. I stumbled across Idylwood one day, and the rolling terrain and almost river-like quality of the bayou made me feel at home again. The fact that it was affordable and close to downtown was icing on the cake.

Of course with that said, I just sold my place and moved into a loft for a change of pace! I didn't so much choose the neighborhood as the space, though the neighborhood reminds me of the meatpacking district of NYC as it was in the early 90s before gentrification set in.

Growing up in the hills of Westchester County, NY, I longed for something other than the flat terrain of Houston.  But of course it had to be affordable on one income, which meant ravine lots in Memorial were out.  I stumbled across Idylwood one day, and the rolling terrain and almost river-like quality of the bayou made me feel at home again.  The fact that it was affordable and close to downtown was icing on the cake.

Of course with that said, I just sold my place and moved into a loft for a change of pace!  I didn't so much choose the neighborhood as the space, though the neighborhood reminds me of the meatpacking district of NYC as it was in the early 90s before gentrification set in.

the galleria area seemed cool at the time but the novelty wore off a long time ago...the traffic is a nightmare over here.

When I saw an early 1900s Queen Anne cottage with a wraparound porch in Pecan Park on the East End, I knew I was going to buy it. It needed some attention but I'm having fun turning it into a special place. I paid 66K for it. All considered, this area gives good bang for the buck.

As for the neighborhood, like Timmy, I figured it was a good investment being only 6 miles from DT and close to both 45 and 610 S. I have not been disappointed living here either, a few minor complaints, but it's really ok.

So, it was a combination of the style of house that I wanted in a neighborhood that I could afford at the time and, although I felt a bit like a pioneer, it has turned out good for me.

I also purchased a property in Pecan Park about 3.5 yrs ago. Yes the house was old and hadn't been updated BUT I could tell that there lots of potential. I also paid in the 60s and have had offers way over that. I will say that the house is solid complete with walls backed with shiplap!

In order to make it livable though I had to do some basic upgrades including power, plumbing and a/c. The original owner was a contractor and at least the place has large closets which is a rarity on the two bedroom/one bath houses. I also ended up insulating all the exterior walls cause the first summer the house would not cool well. The attic insulation, what little there was, was replaced with r-19 and I will eventually double that when i'm sure i'm done with all work in attic.

The original wood floors are intact and look great after the restoration. The guy who does restorations in Eastwood thought i had em replaced cause they were in such good shape. i've spent a little over 20k, however i have all new electrical, plumbing, gas lines, a/c, outdoor drainage system, gutters, storm windows/solar screens, refinished floors, completely remodelled bathroom. I have not done kitchen cause i'm not sure what i want yet. i will say my June electric bill will was $55, which is great!

i had a few realtor friends of mine look at it and said i could get double from my original price which is a good feeling. however, i will say that now the home prices here are rising and many of the homes need so much work to bring them up to par. I've been looking to buy another to restore and i can't find anything that i like.

I will add that the quality of construction is the same as the other Eastside neighborhoods, however I still have a problem paying 200k in Idylwood for a "completely remodeled" home that still has nob and tube wiring.

The last house I owned was in the 6th ward. It was a great historical home and was absolutely beautiful. It was a local and national registered landmark, had been featured in Houston House & Home & This old House magazine. It had been lovingly restored and required far less maintenance than you would expect. It is one of the most unique homes in Houston and bears the distinction of supposedly being the oldest privately owned home in the city.

I grew to hate that house.

For all it's charm, there was absolutely no storage & it was just too small. Only 1 small closet. The vacuum cleaner had to sit out because there was no place to put it. There was no garage. No place to store the first thing. The side windows looked straight into the neighbors about 6 feet away because you were on a narrow lot and the houses were close together. It backed up to a used car lot facing Washington with one of those outside ringers for the phone, the trucks and also the trains from the nearby track sounded like they were in your backyard sometimes. Homeless hung around everywhere & sometimes would knock on the door asking for money.

The house was great, don't get me wrong. It deserved someone who would love and appreciate it, but it wasn't going to be me any longer.

I now have one under contract in Glenbrook Valley. It is not technically inside the loop, but the distance is reasonable, good even. I am buying off of Santa Elena in section 1 which is absolutely beautiful. the main street winds through a slightly rolling terrain, the trees are beautiful, and each home is unique. Glenbrook has it's issues as well, (nasty apartments nearby, some sections have declined more than others, surrounded by junk in general). Compared to what I have been through, on the transitional scale it looks pretty tame! Plus it gets me close in enough, but I am still getting in a good looking area that at least has some deed restrictions. If this deal goes through I will pay half the price for more than twice the square footage of the house in the 6th ward. I can still get some architectural interest, (hardwoods, retro appliances & light fixtures, the den paneling is actual thick individual boards, not sheets). I have a garage, storage, and a big lot with great oak trees. Or at least I will if the deal gels....

I now have one under contract in Glenbrook Valley.  It is not technically inside the loop, but the distance is reasonable, good even.  I am buying off of Santa Elena in section 1 which is absolutely beautiful.  the main street winds through a slightly rolling terrain, the trees are beautiful, and each home is unique.  Glenbrook has it's issues as well, (nasty apartments nearby, some sections have declined more than others, surrounded by junk in general).  Compared to what I have been through, on the transitional scale it looks pretty tame!  Plus it gets me close in enough, but I am still getting in a good looking area that at least has some deed restrictions.  If this deal goes through I will pay half the price for more than twice the square footage of the house in the 6th ward.  I can still get some architectural interest, (hardwoods, retro appliances & light fixtures, the den paneling is actual thick individual boards, not sheets).  I have a garage, storage, and a big lot with great oak trees.  Or at least I will if the deal gels....

Know the area well since i grew up in the area. there are some GREAT homes in section 1. Santa Elena, Dover, Glencrest are streets that come to mind. Back in its heyday, this was the neighborhood to move in on the SE side. I"m sure with some TLC you'll have a great home.

my parents rescued us from the dregs of pasadena, texas when i was six (no offense to you who live there). friends of the family had started a private school in conroe in the early seventies and my parents decided to take the plunge, buy a new home ($44k for 2400 square feet in 1973) and get the hell out of dodge. coincidentally, this was the same year that the woodlands was founded. by the time i was eleven, i was not only drawing house plans but neighborhoods with "walking" trails and forested buffers.

needless to say, at 37 i was able to purchase a 1978 house with 1900 square feet in need of some "love" within walking distance from the woodlands ever changing and internationally reknown town center.

as a kid i wondered through the forest in awe of the six/seven story pine trees and the smell of honeysuckle in spring. now, i live IN the forest.

this is why i chose my neighborhood.

I now have one under contract in Glenbrook Valley.  It is not technically inside the loop, but the distance is reasonable, good even.  I am buying off of Santa Elena in section 1 which is absolutely beautiful.  the main street winds through a slightly rolling terrain, the trees are beautiful, and each home is unique.  Glenbrook has it's issues as well, (nasty apartments nearby, some sections have declined more than others, surrounded by junk in general).  Compared to what I have been through, on the transitional scale it looks pretty tame!  Plus it gets me close in enough, but I am still getting in a good looking area that at least has some deed restrictions.  If this deal goes through I will pay half the price for more than twice the square footage of the house in the 6th ward.  I can still get some architectural interest, (hardwoods, retro appliances & light fixtures, the den paneling is actual thick individual boards, not sheets).  I have a garage, storage, and a big lot with great oak trees.  Or at least I will if the deal gels....

I chose Glenbrook Valley for many of the reasons of rps. I found the neighborhood because I was looking to get out of the Heights, but still stay close in to work. My boyfriend lived in Clear Lake and preferred to live out there.

Glenbrook was a nice compromise between staying in town and still being relatively close to his family/sports activities in Clear Lake.

The minute I saw the mid-century house I bought, I fell in love with it. I was so unlike anything I had seen but had everything I wanted. I've been there almost 4 years now. I'm right on Santa Elena.

I chose Glenbrook Valley for many of the reasons of rps.

..The minute I saw the mid-century house I bought, I fell in love with it. I was so unlike anything I had seen but had everything I wanted. I've been there almost 4 years now. I'm right on Santa Elena.

Give it to me straight. How does it compare to the Heights. I'm talking grocery shopping, resturant dining, everyday living comparison.

RPS/Danax - your thoughts?

Give it to me straight. How does it compare to the Heights. I'm talking grocery shopping, resturant dining, everyday living comparison.

They are 2 completely different worlds. I don't think you can compare the 2. But here's my quick thoughts.

I'd kill for a Kroger Signature store in Glenbrook. But when I first bought in the Heights I said the same thing, the HEB wasn't even there yet. There is a regular Kroger and the big HEB in Glenbrook. I personally shop by my office in Greenway Plaza after work.

Resturants are plentyful in the area depending what you like. You can't beat the East End for mexican and taquerias. But I do miss the little breakfast place on 11th in the Heights. I know more places have opened in the Heights since I lived there too. There's cerainly not a coffee shop to walk to in Glenbrook. But there's The Dot, Don Carlos, Captain's, 888 Chinese, Shan Hu, and a couple of the Pappas chains, Down the freeway a bit at Fuqua/Beltway there's a wide selection of chains if you like that.

In the Heights you don't easily find HUGE lots with 2600 sqare foot, 4 bedroom homes including a pool in the Heights either. If you find one, it's not at a reasonable price. I sold my 900sf condo in the Heights in 2002 for only $20,000 less than what I paid for said 2600sf home.

I loved the Heights but I wasn't willing to pay decent money for only a small 2 bedroom house. That was a deal breaker for me staying in the Heights.

You have to remember too, that if you are talking non-rush hour, you are right at the loop and 610 and it is a straight shot right into downtown on Gulf Frwy. It is like 12 - 15 minutes. To me at least it doesn't feel that "removed" from downtown. I wouldn't consider distance an issue in going downtown or midtown to eat at all. Peak traffic times are a whole horse of a different color. Then you have to snake through the back roads and it gets a little more complicated and time consuming.

For day to day living/shopping, I think it is actually very convenient. You have the giant HEB at Gulfgate, and a Fiesta & Kroger right on Bellefort. You have a lot of day-to-day stuff at Gulfgate too. I have been staying in Lindale Park temporarily & I love the neighborhood, but it seems like there isn't any good retail, there or really in the Heights much. The closest HEB is on T.C. Jester. So for me it doesn't seem like a hardship going to that side of town at all.

Guest danax

If you mean East End, Southeast area in general, obviously it's a lower grade of retail in some ways. The basics are all here though. I work in the Heights so I can shop at Whole Foods, for example, after work on the way home. Gulfgate's there for clothes, bank, building supplies, that's all the same. Restaurants; There are quite a few at Gulfgate and along 45, good ones, I hear, I just don't eat out much and, when I do, it's usually the same places on the West End. All of that Westside and Downtown stuff is easily available, just like the Uptown stuff is available to people in Westchase or other Far West neighborhoods. And, it gives me an excuse to take a break from what I might be doing around the house to take a short trip on the weekends.

Everyday living; house, yard, neighborhood, people.......it's a 1940s suburb. I would like the Heights in that people fix up their homes and yards more than here, but the difference, along with being closer to some preferred retail, is not worth the quadruple real estate costs. Crime might even be less where I live than in the Heights, I don't know.

I'm guessing Stolitx found out the same thing I did; there's really not a whole lot of difference between day-to-day life in the Heights and Glenbrook, Pecan Park, or other "lesser" neighborhoods, as long as they're not obvious slums. It's more the ideas that people have about those neighborhoods that keep more people from wanting to live there. Same goes for having children in one way at least. It's assumed that a child will have a worse chance of making it to college in an inner-city school. But actually, a "Westend" kid can come over here and make great grades and get into the top 10% of their high school class and get automatic admission into UT or A&M, even get scholarships, for example. The competition is a lot less. The worry I would have is that the child would get influenced by the lack of education-oriented peer pressure here and start slacking in their school work.

As for drugs and gangs, my daughter said that there were more drugs going around at Spring High than at Milby. A local cop said the gang thing is very minor these days. The kids around here are decent kids, I just don't see too many going to college. A lot end up dropping out to work or end up pregnant. They'll end up blue-collar and will get priced out of their old neighborhoods if they ever decide they want to buy a house here.

Kind of like the difference between an $8 bottle of wine and a $30 bottle. Yeah, the difference is apparent but I'll go with the $8 because the overall effect is the same and I just saved $22.