Houston Lagging In 20+ Story Starts

lockmat

Dallas makes the top ten but Houston does not for buildings that have begun construction of at least 20 stories since 2000.

71% have been multifamily

13% Hotel

11% Office

1% other

Maybe the reason is b/c Houston doesn't build many multifamily towers.

NYC 331

Chicago 120

Miami 145

Vegas 47

Atlanta 35

San Diego 31

Seattle 31

LA 20

Dallas

San Fran 20

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/analytics/2012/1205-High-Rise-Construction-Forecast-2012.pdf

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/analytics/2012/1205-High-Rise-Construction-Forecast.asp?WT.mc_id=rss_archrecord

Dallas makes the top ten but Houston does not for buildings that have begun construction of at least 20 stories since 2000.

71% have been multifamily

13% Hotel

11% Office

1% other

Maybe the reason is b/c Houston doesn't build many multifamily towers.

NYC 331

Chicago 120

Miami 145

Vegas 47

Atlanta 35

San Diego 31

Seattle 31

LA 20

Dallas

San Fran 20

http://archrecord.co...recast-2012.pdf

http://archrecord.co...=rss_archrecord

Something is amiss. Houston has had more than 20 buildings of at least 20 stories since 2000. I count 25. WTF? Did they just forget about Houston?

Here's a list I generated by looking at data on SkyscraperPage.com - buildings constructed since 2000. There are 39 buildings listed below.

Edit: Just realized that the study indicates building starts since 2000. This list is of buildings completed since 2000. My bad. Still... might be of interest to some, so I won't delete this post.

Building - # of Stories

BG Group Place - 46

1500 Louisiana - 40

One Park Place - 37

Reliant Energy Plaza - 36

Calpine Tower - 34

1200 Post Oak - 33

Memorial Hermann Tower - 33

The Royalton - 33

Dominion Post Oak - 31

Hess Tower - 31

2727 Kirby - 30

Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza - 30

Mercer West - 30

Montebello - 30

The Mark - 30

The Montage - 29

The Mosaic - 29

Five Houston Center - 27

Villa d'Este - 27

Legacy at Memorial - 25

MD Anderson Administrative Support Building - 25

Methodist Hospital Outpatient Care Center - 25

Cosmopolitan - 24

Hilton Americas Hotel - 24

BMC Building II - 23

InterContinental Hotel Houston - 23

BMC Building I - 22

Embassy Suites Hotel - 22

Seven Riverway - 22

Whiteco Residential Tower - 22

Alkek Hospital - 21

T. Boone Pickens Academic Tower - 21

BriarLake Plaza - 20

Feigin Center - 20

Feigin Center West Tower - 20

Museum Tower - 20

Texas Children's Hospital West Tower - 20

The Perennial - 20

Westin Houston Hotel - 20

WOW. Can't forget the TMC or, apparently, Westchase.

You could add Anadarko Tower, Endeavor, and Palisade Palms I & II if you take in the surrounding areas. That'd bring us to 43, or third place because Vegas and Miami obviously don't count.

You're arguing over an infographic that is marketing material for an industry report. Clearly they just selected a handful of cities to show on the map.

We aren't arguing, we're agreeing that it was crap, and so we're correcting it. Ridiculous marketing material for industry reports is often highly effective. Take for instance that bit about Houston ranking second for Fortune 500 companies. It's only true if you rank municipalities instead of metropolitan areas because Houston annexed so much land area in the 20th century while other municipalities were hemmed in by other municipalities -- and that's just stupid, but so are lots and lots of people who you'd think would know better.

Did the guy from Architectural Record draw the map, or is it lifted directly from the (probably $$) report? I'd like to presume the actual data in the report is correct and just the infographic is wrong, but....

Take for instance that bit about Houston ranking second for Fortune 500 companies. It's only true if you rank municipalities instead of metropolitan areas because Houston annexed so much land area in the 20th century while other municipalities were hemmed in by other municipalities -- and that's just stupid, but so are lots and lots of people who you'd think would know better.

That's another myth that needs to be put to rest. Even if we only counted the downtown headquarters in the Fortune 500 listing, Houston would still rank second for Fortune 500 companies. (There were 13 Fortune 500 HQs in downtown Houston, ahead of both Dallas and Atlanta, who tied for third place, each with 10 in their entire respective cities.) A reasonably restricted city of Houston (downtown and uptown) would give us 18 Fortune 500 HQs. There are 20 Fortune 500 HQs inside the Beltway. (Again, this is all based on the 2011 list.)

I wonder what the count is for cities that built buildings over 40 stories since 2000? Houston should be higher on that list than most cities in America.

I think Houston has exactly 1 building in that category (BG Group Place, with 46 stories). The only other one that is close is 1500 Louisiana, with 40 stories, but it does not qualify for the list because ground was broken in 1999.

That's another myth that needs to be put to rest. Even if we only counted the downtown headquarters in the Fortune 500 listing, Houston would still rank second for Fortune 500 companies. (There were 13 Fortune 500 HQs in downtown Houston, ahead of both Dallas and Atlanta, who tied for third place, each with 10 in their entire respective cities.) A reasonably restricted city of Houston (downtown and uptown) would give us 18 Fortune 500 HQs. There are 20 Fortune 500 HQs inside the Beltway. (Again, this is all based on the 2011 list.)

As a case in point, I count 20 such firms in the Dallas-Ft. Worth MSA and 23 in the Houston MSA. The list has evidently shifted toward energy companies in the five years since I last ran this, but the point is that there's still a strong correlation to population. If you'd like to challenge that, I welcome you to run the data. Things can change. (I'd do it myself, but I just don't have time right now.)

As a case in point, I count 20 such firms in the Dallas-Ft. Worth MSA and 23 in the Houston MSA. The list has evidently shifted toward energy companies in the five years since I last ran this, but the point is that there's still a strong correlation to population. If you'd like to challenge that, I welcome you to run the data. Things can change. (I'd do it myself, but I just don't have time right now.)

Those numbers are correct. I'm not sure what your point is. My point was merely that your statement that Houston's claim to No. 2 Status among cities is only true because of the crazy past annexation is simply false. In a comparison of cities, even if we used Houston's 1900 city limits, Houston would still be No. 2 among cities. Whether that is a terribly meaningful list is another question; but it is what it is. (Honestly, I see us touting the no. 3 metro ranking as often as I see the no. 2 city ranking.)

FWIW, the Metropolitan Area Fortune 500 rankings from 2011 along with the number of companies and their 2011 population ranking:

1. NYC 70+ (1)

2. CHI 28 (3)

3. HOU 23 (5)

4. LA 20 (2)

DFW 20 (4)

MSP 20 (16)

7. SFO 19 (11)

8. WDC 17 (7)

9. Detroit 15 (13)

10. Philly 12 (6)

Atlanta 12 (9)

12. Boston 11 (10)

San Jose 11 (31)

14. Charlotte 10 (33)

Cleveland 10 (28)

16. Cincy 9 (27)

Denver 9 (21)

Pittsburgh 9 (22)

St. Louis 9 (19)

20. Seattle 8 (15)

here is an interesting chart showing the number of Fortune 500 companies per 1 million residents. Metro areas range from 7.82 Fortune 500 companies per million residents down to 0.49 Fortune 500's per million residents. (Houston had 4.62) I think this was maybe from the 2010 Fortune 500.

In a comparison of cities, even if we used Houston's 1900 city limits, Houston would still be No. 2 among cities.

That's quite a claim. I'd bet that if we were hemmed in and had to compete on a level playing field with close-in suburban municipalities like Dallas does, we'd have witnessed inter-city rivalries with respect to economic development (among other things). The landscape would probably be very different.

You're arguing over an infographic that is marketing material for an industry report. Clearly they just selected a handful of cities to show on the map.

If so, they still misrepresented it. If it is just a randomly selected handful of cities, it should not be labeled "top ten"

I know it's off-topic, but we were discussing the Fortune 500 list here, so I thought I would post the 2012 results that are out today.

Houston Metro area moved up from 23 in 2011 to 25 in 2012.

Houston city moved up from 22 to 23. Downtown Houston moved up from 13 to 14.

Chicago metro stayed at 28, so we are still the no. 3 metro for Fortune 500 companies.

• 3 weeks later...

Just being f500 does not count you very much. The top quintile of this year's list was 11, while the bottom quintile was numbers 200 through 500. It's more of a US News and World Report type self-publicity deal. If they cared more about it meaning something... let's just say that even certified giants like Du Pont and Google (nos. 72 and 73 by revenue) are in the bottom half of the revenue made by the entire five hundred companies, since the top 14% of the 500 have more than half of the 500's sales.

Now, bringing the topic full circle, Houston's Eighties surge passed up every North American city but Manhattan and Chicago. This was another long tail distribution. In the past decade, however, not only have they pulled ahead, those dirty two, but our skyline has been eclipsed by any number of more privileged places - Toronto, South Florida, Ciudad Panama, Vancouver - and even the possibilities of a resurgent Ciudad Mexico, San Francisco, Calgary and Las Vegas. If you look at privilege, we're lagging. Not that that's a bad thing.

• The title was changed to Houston Lagging In 20+ Story Starts

Archived