Austin plans huge new downtown development

editor

Austin is going to turn its old water treatment plant into a half-billion dollar development with a pair of 30-story towers.

http://www.statesman.com/business/developers-lay-out-500-million-vision-for-old-2255598.html?ana=e_aus_rdup

Trammell Crow envisions 1.75 million square feet of development in all. The 826 apartments would be spread out in two towers, each at least 30 stories tall. The 17-story hotel would have about 200 rooms, while the 28-story office tower would have 456,000 square feet of space. The four buildings combined would have 82,000 square feet of retail space, including about 50,000 square feet along Second Street. The project would have about 2,700 parking spaces, including at least 250 available for public use.

So I guess they will tear down the old water treatment plant? I will kind of miss it but I understand it's progress. Amazing the amount of construction that has been going on in and around downtown Austin over the last decade.

I'm glad for Austin - residents and visitors - but this appears to just be a rendering of a vision. We've seen countless numbers of these in Houston, for example - some of which have been realized, but many of which have not. Boulevard Place comes to mind as something that has been downgraded dramatically from its original rendering, but still remains a decent development. Is there a reason to believe this would - unconditionally - not happen with this proposal? Do developers in Austin have a better track record of converting vision into reality than developers in Houston (some which are the same)?

So I guess they will tear down the old water treatment plant? I will kind of miss it but I understand it's progress. Amazing the amount of construction that has been going on in and around downtown Austin over the last decade.

They tore the old water treatment plant back in 2009, right now it's a grass lawn.

City Council has voted to postpone their vote till April 24th. There are several details that need to be ironed out including more affordable housing. I would take that recent rendering with a grain of salt the end result will likely look different. Either way this project will happen, its been in the works for several years and will add 9 new blocks to the Downtown grid. This is the largest amount of land that is being redeveloped in the Downtown Core.

Archived