What college students need to know

trymahjong

This is an excellent idea since I think more money should be put in post high school education, just need to make sure there's execution and enforcement on this scorecard initiative. Too many schools are wasting taxpayer money on overpaid AD & sporting staff, subsidized sports facilities (that make pro sports look like charity at the big schools) and resort style living projects. Many dorms or facilities added in the last 10 years at many schools are way too lavish (i.e. plasma screens and resort style pools). They should include trade schools in adding money and grading for value. Also, too many students are failing to realize that studying just what you want may sound cute or choosing the easy way out to meet the parent’s demand for college education won't pay the bills

Well, if anyone is interested, apparently, there's a list of top schools where students are looking for sex. University of Texas was at the top. Can't find the list, but I'm sure a lot of kids are going to care more about that list than some boring scholastic stuff!

Also, too many students are failing to realize that studying just what you want may sound cute or choosing the easy way out to meet the parent’s demand for college education won't pay the bills

Some parents demand of their children that they must become a doctor or a lawyer; being a petrochemical engineer or a CPA would be a disgrace in comparison, and being in pharmaceutical sales would just be icky. Of the people that I meet that had their careers foisted upon them (mostly baby lawyers), most seem deeply dissatisfied. There's something to be said for doing what you want, or what comes naturally, and then doing it well.

Well, if anyone is interested, apparently, there's a list of top schools where students are looking for sex. University of Texas was at the top. Can't find the list, but I'm sure a lot of kids are going to care more about that list than some boring scholastic stuff!

Some parents demand of their children that they must become a doctor or a lawyer; being a petrochemical engineer or a CPA would be a disgrace in comparison, and being in pharmaceutical sales would just be icky. Of the people that I meet that had their careers foisted upon them (mostly baby lawyers), most seem deeply dissatisfied. There's something to be said for doing what you want, or what comes naturally, and then doing it well.

Hah! Who says you can't do both. You can get a degree in something you like while doing well financially or not being icky and go to a school on top of a non-academic activity! Awesome that these 2 areas were brought up.

I've talked to more than a few "new" lawyers and sometimes they are a bit overwhelmed by their new vocations. One wished she would have become a dentist instead.

For some reason, people insist on being doctors or lawyers, so I was thrilled to know my daughter is going to pursue a Psychology PhD, the SIL is going for an aeronautical engineering degree with a Phd.

My newest charges is debating between a lawyer and doctor and the other is Journalism.

I swear, I'm NEVER going to retire.

I'm not sure how it would be accomplished, but I wish Universities could give a realistic idea of what degrees will offer the best chance of employment. You watch your kid pursuing their dream, but then ending up with an advanced degree that didn't translate into the job and career they hoped for.

What degrees offer the best chance at employment? The degrees that require that you think. Forget the soft social sciences - no real jobs there. Chemistry is not a good choice. Go for engineering, physics, and math in the sci/eng area. Accounting is the best business degree, followed by finance. Forget management - you are then qualified to get a bad paying job with horrible hours. Some IT degrees are OK, but I prefer IT staff that have other degrees.

If you want the absolute best chance of post college employment I would say that an Engineering or Physics degree would be the absolute highest probability of employment.

A Chemical Engineering degree would enable you to be a Chemical engineer, a doctor (with only minimal premed electives) or a lawyer. An Electrical engineering degree carries the highest probability of employment in the engineering field from what I have seen, and still enables a person to be an engineer or a lawyer.

With a degree in engineering or science, you are able to become a patent attorney, which a non-engineer or science based lawyer, can not do - so the competition, and thus, the odds of post law school employment are drastically increased.

The down side to engineering or science while in college? Well its very hard and sucks. Your friends who choose less substantive majors will enjoy a much higher quality of life while in college.

Archived