Relocating From Chicago

iluvdogs

Guest danax
Housing prices are not on fire here like on the coasts. 

Buying and selling in a "hot" area is great as long as you're not one of the ones who get caught holding the bag when the market takes a rest. Here, you can focus more on the home and neighborhood and not think too much about big gains or losses. Also, the prices are cheap but the property taxes, I hear, are higher than a lot of big cities, about 3% annually in the city of Houston.

Chicagoans,

Good luck on your move.

As far as housing goes if you are looking for nice backyards, big trees, and accessibility you should consider the Spring Branch area. Detractors aside this is by far the most affordable area in Houston that is still "in" Houston. The suburbs blow in my opinion, and I would never live there as they are merely sprawl with little thought of development.

You can find some nice homes in the following area for under $200,000:

Shadow Oaks

Spring Shadows

There are many up and coming areas between Kempwood and Longpoint from north to south, and between Wirt and Bingle going east to west. Some of these areas are a bit run down, but I've been seeing activity here that indicates a rise in buying/building in this area just north of the posh Spring Valley area (I mean JUST north!). Houses here are going for around $90K in original condition, and about $130K in remodeled condition. Big yards (some 11,000 sq ft +, but avg around 8K sqft), big trees, character, etc.. I wouldn't compare it to the Heights, but it's getting there, and will be increasing in value over the next few years.

And if you are worried about living near Latino/Hispanic immigrants then don't move here - this is Houston.

my 2 cents.

Spring Shadows is still a nice area minus the intersection of Hammerly and Gessner (both streets need to be redone, including the medians). Lots of middle class white and latino families with a growing middle eastern and African-American population. In fact, when I first moved to Houston, I looked at renting and then buying a townhome on Kemp Forest.

Chicagoans,

And if you are worried about living near Latino/Hispanic immigrants then don't move here - this is Houston.

my 2 cents.

protospehric......

I appreciate all your advices but I certainly did not appreciate your above comment. I think it's ignorant on your part to assume that I am prejudice against Latinos. For your information, I am an immigrant myself and I am married to a Latino. Both my neighbors between my house are latinos. We are not just neighbors for 8 years but we are very close and we treat each other like family. I belong to a multi-cultural family (with Asian, Hispanic, African Americans as Aunts, Uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews). Who are you to tell me not to move to Houston because I am "worried about living near Latino immigrants.

I apologized to the rest of the posters here. I am just venting out my feelings. Truly the rest of you are extremely helpful. I will print this message board out and I will scout the city of Houston in a couple of weeks. Chicago Dog.

Chicago Dog:

There is no need to apologize for your post. It was an insensitive remark. The post following yours is even more insensitive.

Most of us here in Houston love the town, not in spite of its diversity, but BECAUSE of it. In fact, 69% of Houston's popultion is comprised of Hispanics of every stripe, African Americans (and Africans), Indians (Native and Asian), Asians and others. Only 30% of the population is non-hispanic white, and many of us celebrate our non-European heritage as well.

Just as the great city of Chicago was built on the backs of its immigrants in the 1800s and 1900s, so is Houston being built by its immigrants in the 21st century. While any big and growing city will have some xenophobic grumblings, Houston and Texas have a long proud Mexican heritage (we used to BE Mexico), and I think you will find Houston to be as friendly in person as you have generally found it to be on this forum.

Look forward to havin ya.

Good Grief Charlie Brown.. I was being facetious.

I can care less about the hispanic population here - legal or illegal. Sure I want ALL illegals rounded up and deported, but I'm not going around asking for green-cards. All I ask is that you can speak English. And the day the government acknowledges Spanish as an official language of the United States - I'll drop my request.

P.s. I LOVE this town and all its citizens.. except the hobos.

And the day the government acknowledges Spanish as an official language of the United States - I'll drop my request.

Spanish has been used in at least Texas and a few other states hundreds of years before English. Freedom of speech.......in any language......freedom to speak English or not speak it. IMO

Did the government ever declare English as the official language?

I think I read somwhere that that it never has....anyone know?

Did the government ever declare English as the official language?

Well, that's a good question. I think the best answer would be to ask what language ALL official federal documents are written in. Also, what language was used by the founding fathers to create this society?

Questioning whether English should even be the official language is no better than questioning the right to burn a United States flag.

Casual, this where the words "de jure" and "de facto" come into play.

De jure, or by law, there is no official language of the United States at the federal level.

De facto, or in reality, English is used for most government documents so in a way it is the official language of the U.S.

Some states specify an official language. Texas does not specify any official languages de jure. According to Wikipedia, English and Spanish are de facto. The following states do specify:

Alabama: English

Alaska: English

Arizona: English

Arkansas: English

California: English

Colorado: English

Connecticut: English

Florida: English

Georgia: English

Hawaii: Hawaiian English and Hawaiian

Indiana: English

Iowa: English

Kentucky: English

Louisiana: English and French

Maryland: English

Massachusetts: English

Michigan: English

Mississippi: English

Missouri: English

Montana: English

Nebraska: English

New Hampshire: English

New Mexico: English and Spanish

North Carolina: English

North Dakota: English

South Carolina: English

South Dakota: English

Tennessee: English

Utah: English

Virginia: English

West Virginia: English

Wyoming: English

The following insular areas specify:

American Samoa: English and Samoan

Northern Mariana Islands: Carolinian, Chamorro, and English

Guam: Chamorro and English

Puerto Rico: English and Spanish

Guest danax
De jure, or by law, there is no official language of the United States at the federal level.

De facto, or in reality, English is used for most government documents so in a way it is the official language of the U.S.

The legal profession apparently would prefer Latin. I think our society would advance if legalese would evolve into something we all could understand, like English, instead of this pompous Latin seemingly designed to confuse the citizens.

We are getting way off topic here. Chi-dog, I think that Spring Branch is an area that will improve, not get worse, with time, mainly due to it's location. There are some nice, modest older homes on shady (meaning with big trees) streets. It's one of those places that you would need to examine on an almost block-to-block basis to determine if a house is in a desirable spot. Another thing, keep in mind that the soil in Houston is mostly "black gumbo"; thick clay, which causes a lot of houses built with slab foundations to eventually need major work. That's one fear I would have about houses from about 1950 on. I have a house with a pier and beam foundation which is 1) easy to level and make repairs for plumbing etc. and 2) supposedly healthier for joints as there is some "give" to the floors.

Due to the architectural strata/buildout patterns in Houston, a pier and beam home is likely to be found inside the loop, which will cost you more in most cases, on the Westside, at least.

Chicagoans,

my 2 cents.

protospehric......

I appreciate all your advices but I certainly did not appreciate your above comment. I think it's ignorant on your part to assume that I am prejudice against Latinos. For your information, I am an immigrant myself and I am married to a Latino. Both my neighbors between my house are latinos. We are not just neighbors for 8 years but we are very close and we treat each other like family. I belong to a multi-cultural family (with Asian, Hispanic, African Americans as Aunts, Uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews). Who are you to tell me not to move to Houston because I am "worried about living near Latino immigrants.

I apologized to the rest of the posters here. I am just venting out my feelings. Truly the rest of you are extremely helpful. I will print this message board out and I will scout the city of Houston in a couple of weeks. Chicago Dog.

I assume nothing. I was merely responding based on what another poster said about the Hispanic population in Houston. You were warned at one point in this thread about certain areas because of the immigrant population. I was pinging off of that post, and not an assumption that you are prejudice. My point was that if you are in Houston you are going to b very hard-pressed to avoid living near an immigrant population since this is Houston. I think you would find the same to be true in Chicago.

Sorry if I offended you. I certainly did not mean to. You just misunderstood my post. I personally don't care who I live next to as long as they aren't breaking the law or being disruptive/rude.

Good luck finding a place to live in Houston.

I bet it is a safe assumption that you have your share of dogs at home, so some place with big lots for the dogs might be a good fit. You can still find that in Spring Branch with some looking, and of course all day long southeast in Garden Villas & some in Glenbrook Valley. There is a newer listing in Glenbrook on a half acre.

• 1 month later...