Review My Other Houseplan

beachbum

All of you architects/builders have been great at giving me tips on reviewing my houseplans. Here is another one. My wife and I agree on this one because it has everything we need in a small space (1515 sq feet). Do you think that this can be built for $110 to $115,000? I was thinking maybe the front and the bottom of the sides of the house could be brick and the rest hardy plank, compostion roof, etc. Pretty standard stuff, not too custom. Please see the link below.

Thanks

house plan

Nicely delineated elevation. Shutters that fit the windows- that is a novel idea. The wing walls are nice- will need an extra good foundation. If well detailed and landscaped, say $350,000 plus the lot, would give you a nice, very traditional house.

Built typically however, I don't think it will look very nice. What happens if you view it from anywhere but the centerline? Seems all the "style" goes away or changes to something different. I hate the fake fireplace and the upstairs closet in the chimney! That's just the worst. I have toured a house similar to this in Walnut Bend and it is very small and uninteresting. I could put up with that in a house from 1935 but not a new house. Find an eager young architect to design something interesting or buy an existing house.

Nicely delineated elevation.  Shutters that fit the windows- that is a novel idea.  The wing walls are nice- will need an extra good foundation.  If well detailed and landscaped, say $350,000 plus the lot,  would give you a nice, very traditional house. 

Built typically however, I don't think it will look very nice.  What happens if you view it from anywhere but the centerline?  Seems all the "style" goes away or changes to something different.  I hate the fake fireplace and the upstairs closet in the chimney!  That's just the worst.  I have toured a house similar to this in Walnut Bend and it is very small and uninteresting.  I could put up with that in a house from 1935 but not a new house.  Find an eager young architect to design something interesting or buy an existing house.

Thanks for all the input! I hardly think that 1500 sq feet counts as a McMansion, though. Yes, it has to be a new house. I have this land that I bought incredibly cheap before all of the prices exploded on waterview lots and I could never afford this location again at today's prices.

$350,000 would be about $200.00 per sq foot. Kind of high end, don't you think? Even new custom homes are going for 65-75 dollars per sq foot. Regardless, I have spoken to some architects and they have been very helpful. If anyone knows of anyone in the Houston area who has cutting edge small designs, I would appreciate an e-mail.

Thanks

I have now read the other post on your house. I don't think this house is at all appropriate for a waterfront lot. The layout does not lend itself to take advantage of the views. The other house has a somewhat better layout but looks like something from 1980. The two angled rooms off the deck look neat in plan but would not be useable. Call the U of H or Rice college of architecture for some names of recent graduates. A custom design will be site specific and solve issues like view, sun, functional relations, slope, access, etc...