What To Do With Greenspoint?

Greenspoint has always confused me. It has a great location, yet has one of the worst reputations of any area in Houston. I know since the early 90's crime has dropped in the area, yet the area is still not a great place. Quality retail options are lacking, there are few restaurants, and decent housing is hard to come by. However, Greenspoint has many advantages. It is very close to the airport. It sits at the intersection of two major roadways. It is located between Houston and Montgomery County. It has a built up stock of office space.

Personally, I would like to see Greenspoint become a transit center that serves rail lines between the airport, the northern suburbs, and the central city.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

I like the idea, I would also like to see it as another city, as in seperate from Houston. Mabe even a name change. It would be nice for all the rail/transit to meet there. How does it look from ground level? I have only seen it in the distance going to the airport.

I think Greenspoint becomes "healthier" as nearby communities are built, like those along Greens Road, Veterans Memorial and along the Beltway heading west. For years, there has been a lack of critical mass surrounding Greenspoint with the exception of the small subdivision north of the mall and the moderate income apartments to the east. Now, there are more typical middle class communities being built (including a very large one between Greens and Rankin Roads. This is important because it will increase the visibility and viability of the area.

The fact that the Greenspoint Office Market is better now than it was seven or eight years ago combined with lower crime rates and more middle to upper middle income communities within a five-mile radius suggests that with proper planning, the area will become as healthy as Westchase or Meyerland.

Good think the area is in a TIRZ with the Greenspoint Management District. I'm working on the Hike-n-Bike Trails that will run along Greens Bayou for about 3 miles throught the area. From about Gears Road on the West side to to Near the Hardy Toll Road.

The office market is doing great up there. With all the population explosion in the northern area of the County and in Montgomery County, Greenspoint has become an area for offices to relocated for shorter commutes.

To me, the main obstacle is the many apartment complexes build in the early eighties and the mall which badly needs to be revitalized.

The only drawback is that so much is located in the Spring Area and the Woodlands that it pulls from Greenspoint.

Being not too familiar with the area, what is the commute like going from downtown to Greesnpoint? I might be changing companies and that would move me out to Greenspoint instead of the Galleria. from downtown, the Galleria is like 15-20. How far is Greenspoint during rush hour?

Being not too familiar with the area, what is the commute like going from downtown to Greesnpoint?  I might be changing companies and that would move me out to Greenspoint instead of the Galleria.  from downtown, the Galleria is like 15-20.  How far is Greenspoint during rush hour?

From downtown to gunspoint during rush hour is a nightmare. Get ready to spend at least 30 minutes driving just to get there.

From downtown to Greenspoint in the morning is not bad at all. And remember, you can allways take the Hardy Toll Road too. HCTRA is also planning to extend the Toll

Road into Downtown. Plans are being drawn now. The right of way has been bought. Construction should begin soon.

I know several people who live in the Montrose area and work out at Greenspoints. They say the drive isn't bad at all since they are always going against traffic.