Stuff To Do For Free in Houston

I never set boundaries.

You specified "town" as opposed to not-"town".

Look, i don't see why it's so unreasonable to consider that the farther away a tourist attraction is away from the nearest mass of people, transportation services, accommodations, etc, the more likely it is that visitor counts are going to suffer both from locals and out-of-towners.

There is a significant mass of people residing in east Harris County. Providers of rental cars are ubiquitous throughout the region, and there are many roads in east Harris County. There are hotels and motels in east Harris County.

You though, are bringing in drive views, smells, and non-POIs as your counter.

Your framework provides for numerous internal inconsistencies. Although I have pointed out inadequacies and constraints affecting your suggestions, I have not advanced a comprehensive theory of tourist traffic optimization. I know better than to try; you do not.

Edited by TheNiche

• 1 month later...

Any events going this weekend that are free or relatively cheap? A few weeks ago there was the Art Car Parade. We should update this thread each week/

I agree that it would be good to update this regularly - or maybe have a sub-forum devoted to this with individual threads for each week.

I like to visit ArtsHound (www.artshound.com) and click on the Free Events link on the top menu bar.

Here are some things, but this is by no means a complete list...

Friday, June 17

• East End Studio Gallery (6:00pm): Opening reception for The Subconsious Bridge, a solo exhibition by Michael Draper, a local artist based out of Spring. NB: I don't know anything about the artist or his portfolio, but I know Mark Lacy who's the founder of the HIfC, which runs the EESG, and I generally trust his taste.
  • Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:30pm): Summer Symphony Nights - Beethoven's Fifth plus Rhapsody in Blue

Saturday, June 18
  • Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:30pm): Summer Symphony Nights - West Side Story
  • Market Square Park (8:00pm): Outdoor movie showing of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

Sunday, June 19

• Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:00pm): Juneteenth Celebration, in observance of the announcement of the abolishment of slavery in Texas. I'll definitely be here; there's some great jazz and zydeco bands featured.
  • Trader's Village (Unknown time): Festival de Mariachi
  • Apparently, the Jesse Jones Park and Nature Center in Humble has a 'reptile open house' this Saturday and Sunday from 1-4pm. I have no idea what will actually take place or be there.

I agree that it would be good to update this regularly - or maybe have a sub-forum devoted to this with individual threads for each week.

I like to visit ArtsHound (www.artshound.com) and click on the Free Events link on the top menu bar.

Here are some things, but this is by no means a complete list...

Friday, June 17

• East End Studio Gallery (6:00pm): Opening reception for The Subconsious Bridge, a solo exhibition by Michael Draper, a local artist based out of Spring. NB: I don't know anything about the artist or his portfolio, but I know Mark Lacy who's the founder of the HIfC, which runs the EESG, and I generally trust his taste.
  • Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:30pm): Summer Symphony Nights - Beethoven's Fifth plus Rhapsody in Blue

Saturday, June 18
  • Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:30pm): Summer Symphony Nights - West Side Story
  • Market Square Park (8:00pm): Outdoor movie showing of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

Sunday, June 19

• Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:00pm): Juneteenth Celebration, in observance of the announcement of the abolishment of slavery in Texas. I'll definitely be here; there's some great jazz and zydeco bands featured.
  • Trader's Village (Unknown time): Festival de Mariachi
  • Apparently, the Jesse Jones Park and Nature Center in Humble has a 'reptile open house' this Saturday and Sunday from 1-4pm. I have no idea what will actually take place or be there.

Thanks.

Here's some free stuff happening during the upcoming weekend:

Friday, June 24

• Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:30pm): Summer Symphony Nights - Mozart and Dvorak
  • Discovery Green (11am to 7pm all weekend): The World's Largest Sprinkler (I'm not actually sure about the accuracy of the superlative, but I imagine there will likely be stuff for kids and grown-ups at this event anyway.) Presented by Target.
  • CAMH (8pm to midnight): Steel Lounge Underground (music)
  • Around the Westbranch area (3pm to 9pm): Westbranch arts crawl, featuring art exhibits, performances by local artists, and vendors (technically free, but you may spend some money wink.gif)
  • Cactus Music (5:30pm to 6:30pm): Sounds Under Radio (Austin-based rock band)

Saturday, June 25

• Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:30pm): Summer Symphony Nights - Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony
  • Brazoria County Historical Museum (6pm to 9pm): Summer Zydeco Concert on the Lawn (NB: This is in Angleton)
  • Cactus Music (1pm to 2pm): Band of Heathens (Austin-based Americana band)

Sunday, June 26
  • Rothko Chapel (3pm): Rothko Chapel Summer Music Series - The Raga in Hindu Music

Again, I don't make any warranty about the quality of these programs (except the Summer Symphony Nights, which I find are always excellent). I gleamed this information from ArtsHound's Free Events calendar (link). While all of these should be free, I'd check on-line before making the trek.

Edited by Simbha

Who's the grand marshall this year??? Suppose i should googleit. I think the only way to top Andy Cohen is to get Anderson Cooper.

Apparently, it's Jonathan Lovitz.

http://pridehouston.org/celebration/pages/2011_jonathan

Now, don't ask me to tell you who Jonathan Lovitz is. As I don't own a TV, I have no earthly idea. I also don't know who Andy Cohen is.

However, I do know who Anderson Cooper is; so I guess I'm not a total loss...