Artwork On Studewood St.

callisthenes

Anyone care to speculate on why there is a painting of Mohammad Atta as martyr in the window next door to the Carve skate board shop?

Or am I misidentifying the subject of the portrait?

I thought it was Liza Minnelli.

A couple weeks ago there was a topless woman masturbating (a painting of it, that is). The prudish mom in me sure came out but I left it be. Walking by yesterday, there is also a crucified Obama-as-Jesus, crown of thorns, the whole thing. ANyway, I think someone is making that space in to a "gallery" or studio and this is just the kind of art they paint.

A couple weeks ago there was a topless woman masturbating (a painting of it, that is). The prudish mom in me sure came out but I left it be. Walking by yesterday, there is also a crucified Obama-as-Jesus, crown of thorns, the whole thing. ANyway, I think someone is making that space in to a "gallery" or studio and this is just the kind of art they paint.

So then it's not a madrasa, it's just the usual "provocative" art, circumscribed into narrowly defined veins of "protest".

I guess shouldn't expect a caricature of the Prophet Mohammed to be displayed with the Mohammed Atta as an ironic 9/11 tribute this fall, should I?

I approve of the prudish mom response. While these displays make your maternal duties more difficult, your acceptance of sometimes idiotic free speech is admirable. I envy your children.

It's one of those conundrums - art can be controversial, yet being controversial doesn't mean that there's artistic content. Someone wants attention. This is a cry for a pacifier.

• The title was changed to Artwork On Studewood St. South Of 11th St.
  • The title was changed to Artwork On Studewood St.

Archived