Moving From Wisconsin

rhf123

Greetings "yall"!

I'm moving down to your wonderful city from Green Bay, WI this summer and am really excited. I'm thankful for this forum because it has answered many of my questions already.

I'm going to be working in the Galeria area and was hoping to live in the Southwest (Sugar Land) area. Do you think I would be able to find a home under $200s? My criteria is 2200+ sqft, 4bdrms, <5 yrs...

What kind of commute would I be looking at?

Also, out of curiosity (since I noticed they were ranked #1), what price range are Pulte homes in? For example, I saw one listed at $160 on their website, what would the land cost in Sugar Land push that up to?

Kind regards!!!!!!

Welcome, and good luck.

It's funny that you're moving from Green Bay to Houston, because I did almost the same thing, just with a 17-month detour to Cincinnati inbetween.

As for your home search, I'm of no use. I'm an apartment dweller. I'm not ready for that kind of responsibility yet.

Still, here's what I've noticed

Wisconsin - great dairy products, lousy beef.

Texas - great beef, lousy dairy products.

Welcome rhf. Glad to see you're getting the lingo down. And don't let anyone tell you the weather here sucks. Come January, when you are walking around in shorts just because you can, you'll be telling your GB neighbors to sell the Bombardier and come on down. A few hot months is worth it not to shovel snow.

As to homes in Sugar Land, you'll find plenty under or around $200k. The median home price here is only about $180k.

Commute from Sugar Land to Galleria isn't too bad. Check out some of the posts on this forum about the Westpark toll road. It sounds like it will drop you into the Galleria in no time. And it's brand new, so nobody knows about it yet.

Once again, welcome to town. Hope you enjoy it.

Greetings "yall"!

I'm moving down to your wonderful city from Green Bay, WI this summer and am really excited.  I'm thankful for this forum because it has answered many of my questions already.

I'm going to be working in the Galeria area and was hoping to live in the Southwest (Sugar Land) area.  Do you think I would be able to find a home under $200s?  My criteria is 2200+ sqft, 4bdrms, <5 yrs...

What kind of commute would I be looking at? 

Also, out of curiosity (since I noticed they were ranked #1), what price range are Pulte homes in?  For example, I saw one listed at $160 on their website, what would the land cost in Sugar Land push that up to?

Kind regards!!!!!!

Move inside the loop!

www.har.com

www.hcad.org

I have a bias toward moving inside the loop to, but it really depends on what your lifestyle is. Plus if your looking for a 2200 sq ft home you might be hard pressed to find one there under 200k.

If you don't mind the 30 minute commute Sugar Land is awesome. The city is very well maintained but along with that come some heavy deed restrictions in most of the neighborhoods and the taxes aint cheep.

Aside from that it's a great small city. They are putting on the finishing touches to the new town square which is very urban, although small. It has some nice waterways and the investment in a home there is almost a sure money maker. The city also has just about everything you could imagine from retail to restaurants.

Sugar Land is a great choice.

One of the big factors that puts a lot of people in more suburban locations is schools. If you don't have that issue there are a lot of places closer in. I think the commute during rush hour would be a good bit longer than 30 minutes to Sugarland.

One of the big factors that puts a lot of people in more suburban locations is schools.  If you don't have that issue there are a lot of places closer in.  I think the commute during rush hour would be a good bit longer than 30 minutes to Sugarland.

Well I think the commute time would really depend on where in the city (Sugar Land) you lived. I do love the Westpark tollway and I think living in New Territory or any of the new subdivisions North of there would get you in town pretty quick.

You would deffinately be right if you had to fight the traffic at 6 and 90, that is just a nightmare.

If you find a place north of Highway 59 and use the Westpark tollway, your commute could be under 30 minutes, even during rush hour. Another consideration would be Sienna Plantation in Missouri City. Using the Ft. Bend Tollway, The Galleria will soon be a 30 minute proposition.

The majority of residential Sugar Land uses 59 for the commute and the traffic shows it. What people do is wait out the heavy commute time at happy hour or early dinner with friends at Galleria-area restaurants and bars. Then, even the commute down 59 can be about 30 minutes.

I don't know where the "waterways" in Sugar Land are, but the Town Square is shaping up nicely and there is the best example of the suburban mix of retail in the Houston metro around there. New construction in your size and price range is available, as are existing homes. Shop around -- you'll find many diverse, well-maintained and pleasant neighborhoods to choose from.

Take it easy on the "y'all" thing. No one I know really says that, but maybe down in Sugar Town, it may be more common.

Welcome!

The waterways I'm talking about are offshoots of Oyster creek. There are several man made lakes that wind through several of the neighborhoods. One example is is a beautiful neighborhood with connected lakes off of Williams Trace.

welcome to the forum rhf123. i noticed that you asked "For example, I saw one listed at $160 on their website, what would the land cost in Sugar Land push that up to?". an advertised home price by a builder like pulte will most likely include the lot.

i'm not sure what kind of food varieties you have in green bay, but when you move, if you choose sugarland, you will be in close proximity to wonderful indian, vietnamese, south american and japanese restaurants (and many more). please take the opportunity to experience these amazing foods (if you haven't already). one aspect of getting to know houston is getting to know it's diversity, and food is a great place to start.

welcome to houston!

Take it easy on the "y'all" thing. No one I know really says that, but maybe down in Sugar Town, it may be more common.

You're kidding, right? It's definitely ingrained in the vocabulary of native Houstonians...I don't know how you could be raised here and not throw out "y'all" left and right!

Getting back to the post at hand...I'm also an Inner Looper, but Sugar Land is definitely one of the nicer and most "complete" and mature suburbs you'll find around Houston.

• The title was changed to Moving From Wisconsin