Switching subjects

Happy Historian

I've recently begun a new renovation project in a residence designed by M. Arthur Kotch originally built about 1958. Throughout it has apparently original light switching that I had never seen before. So far I think they are relay type low voltage switching made by Sierra Electric. Here is a view of a single and a triple light switch. Has anyone else had any experiences with these? The homeowner presently plans to leave these in place and clean as many plates and switches of the many coats of paint that now cover some.

post-6473-0-53934400-1298915326_thumb.jppost-6473-0-17549100-1298915339_thumb.jpThere are matching receptacles and even a dimmer in the residence that all appear to work. Of course, the receptacles are dual prong with no ground.

I've recently begun a new renovation project in a residence designed by M. Arthur Kotch originally built about 1958. Throughout it has apparently original light switching that I had never seen before. So far I think they are relay type low voltage switching made by Sierra Electric. Here is a view of a single and a triple light switch. Has anyone else had any experiences with these? The homeowner presently plans to leave these in place and clean as many plates and switches of the many coats of paint that now cover some.

post-6473-0-53934400-1298915326_thumb.jppost-6473-0-17549100-1298915339_thumb.jpThere are matching receptacles and even a dimmer in the residence that all appear to work. Of course, the receptacles are dual prong with no ground.

Don't know about those switches but have seen others that look similar. I will let you know if I find anything. I hope they can stay. I don't know the rules for the power outlets though. In some municipalities upgrading to grounded circuits, with GFI circuits in wet areas, would be required.

It's a great juxtaposition to see the programable thermostat above the 1950's era light switch. It would be nice to have an old round Honeywell thermostat to put on the wall (a dummy of course) and have some discrete sensors connected back the controls in a closet somewhere.

Here is a link to a Kotch house in River Oaks built originally for Lucia and Gordon Cain: http://modernhouston.net/3269reba.html

Archived