Mecca of Competitive Air Hockey - Houston

lockmat

Someone please contact H-GAC so they can add this to their list of Houston # 1's. This will surely bring more people to Houston.

Any air hockey studs in here?

It’s a well-guarded secret, but Houston has been the Mecca of competitive air hockey for over thirty years. That’s right: air hockey.

Way of the Puck, a new documentary feature film about world-class air hockey, gives voice to this little-seen subculture and features ten-time World Champion Tim Weissman, three-time World Champion Jose Mora, and a long list of former #1s hailing from the Houston area.

http://www.thewestsidestory.net/article/News/News_to_Use/NEW_DOCUMENTARY_EXPLORES_HOUSTONS_ROLE_AS_AIR_HOCKEY_CAPITAL_OF_THE_UNIVERSE/21579

Come on really? Is this what it has come to?

I mean, I understand yes....the Rockets suck, the Astros suck, the Texans suck. We get it.

I enjoy playin air hockey, dont get me wrong.

But even with our conventional sports in the drain, are we really going to call air hockey a sport?

Anyways if I was Houston I think I'd be quite hesitant to put Mecca of Air Hockey on my resume to the world.

It's a cool thing to know, just not something I'd shout on top of a roof top lol

In June or July they do the us open air hockey tournament. Go watch, don't need to play. It is not football, and you don't have to be as in shape as a golf player even, but the level of hand eye coordination required, speed, anticipation of your opponent, etc surely make it a sport.

I haven't played in a few years, but was ranked the #1 amateur in the nation at one point. I couldn't hold a candle to the best, or even someone ranked as a professional, even at my best.

But it's just like anything else, if you have no perspective, it's easy to judge.

I mean, I understand yes....the Rockets suck, the Astros suck, the Texans suck. We get it.

But even with our conventional sports in the drain, are we really going to call air hockey a sport?

Anyways if I was Houston I think I'd be quite hesitant to put Mecca of Air Hockey on my resume to the world.

It's a cool thing to know, just not something I'd shout on top of a roof top lol

In June or July they do the us open air hockey tournament. Go watch, don't need to play. It is not football, and you don't have to be as in shape as a golf player even, but the level of hand eye coordination required, speed, anticipation of your opponent, etc surely make it a sport.

I haven't played in a few years, but was ranked the #1 amateur in the nation at one point. I couldn't hold a candle to the best, or even someone ranked as a professional, even at my best.

But it's just like anything else, if you have no perspective, it's easy to judge.

Wow, what two contrasting posts, lol.

The only reason I called it a Mecca was because the article did. I just posted it cuz I thought some people might get a kick out of it.

I'm not sure I'd go pay to watch air hockey, but it would be interesting to see how much better serious players are. To think someone really good is on HAIF is cool, it makes me giggle.

I think if you're allowed to drink beer and watch it from a monitor....it can be classified as a sport.

Hell, I'd watch snail drag races if you put enough beer and peanuts in front of me.

Okay...maybe wings too.

Wow, what two contrasting posts, lol.

The only reason I called it a Mecca was because the article did. I just posted it cuz I thought some people might get a kick out of it.

I'm not sure I'd go pay to watch air hockey, but it would be interesting to see how much better serious players are. To think someone really good is on HAIF is cool, it makes me giggle.

no way they'd charge you to watch, they'd be happy to have people watch.

it's actually really interesting to see, and to meet the people who play these games competitively.

professional sports players play because they get paid to do it and it is their means of surviving, but people who play a sport like air hockey, or lasertag (of which people do play competitively, and the team from Houston has won the national title twice, that is worth it's own thread too :P ) competitively, they do it because they love it and they know there isn't any money in it.

They want to share that with anyone who is willing to listen, or watch. heh, it can be a bit awkward if you end up talking to the person who is a little too enthusiastic and can't recognize that you may not be as enthusiastic, but for the most part, you could walk through a mall and never recognize them as living an alter ego life where they own an air hockey table and practice every night after dinner instead of playing world of warcraft, or watching tv.

here's the website for all things air hockey http://www.airhockeyworld.com/home.asp

I would assume there are probably a few people on HAIF that played competitively at one time and were good.

oh, and I bought the DVD, my friends and I will probably get a kick out of it. I am imagining "The King of Kong" but for air hockey instead.

oh, and I bought the DVD, my friends and I will probably get a kick out of it. I am imagining "The King of Kong" but for air hockey instead.

When I first read this thread my mind immediately went to King of Kong...which I have to hold up as one of the best movies I've ever seen!

If this movie is anywhere near as good as King of Kong, I'll be watching for it.

Archived