Purchasing bathroom counter top for semi-DIY project

We just bought a new home and the master bath desperately needs a mini-facelift before we move in. The most major thing we are planning to do is to install a new countertop and new sinks (drop in, not undermount). The rest can be updated once we recover from general sticker shock :)

My stepfather is a contractor and will be driving down, tools in hand, to do the necessary work before we move in. So what I am looking for is a place to buy JUST THE COUNTER SLAB. Hoping to go the Corian/Silestone route, but would love granite if it could be had for a decent price.

Is there anywhere around Houston where I could provide measurements for them to cut the counter for me, and thats it? Recommendations? Its just a straight, rectangular counter, nothing fancy - will only need to be cut to size and have holes cut for double sinks.

Thanks so much!

Home Depot and Lowes aren't the cheapest, but for as small a piece as you are buying, the savings at another shop may not be worth the hassle. At a minimum, get a quote from one or both to compare. If you want to go granite, there are several shops along Hempstead Highway to choose from. Daltile is also out that way and has a very good selection.

Home Depot and Lowes don't like small jobs. They used to apply upcharges and minimums.

Check with PBI Granite on Hempstead. They keep remnants and if you're not too picky then you can probably find a piece that you like and is big enough. But that's the problem with remnants... small pieces are easier to find than big ones. This is what I did when I built out my garage and I found an 8 ft piece of black granite for a rectangular counter top for a couple of hundred bucks. That included two finished edges, but no cut-outs.

post-4274-0-54286200-1295967240_thumb.jp

Home Depot and Lowes don't like small jobs. They used to apply upcharges and minimums.

Check with PBI Granite on Hempstead. They keep remnants and if you're not too picky then you can probably find a piece that you like and is big enough. But that's the problem with remnants... small pieces are easier to find than big ones. This is what I did when I built out my garage and I found an 8 ft piece of black granite for a rectangular counter top for a couple of hundred bucks. That included two finished edges, but no cut-outs.

You have a very nice looking garage. I really like the red cabinets with the black granite counter. I think I just developed a case of "garage envy." :)

Archived