Nonsense posts

Occasionally I'll encounter seemingly random words and phrases on search engines and forums. An example:

Offence Limit,rain mean previously flow initial colour history village place civil reality powerful window membership therefore imply sound prison quick well better respond mother game immediately assume user tool business county priority letter notice with connect hope avoid should spread south propose growing paint mile remain roof further think here defendant source tall sexual meal sort tax direct can minister option his prevent old release increase now obtain climb both word alternative individual bottom channel demand under bind hold claim railway bad stick representative and proper

What is the purpose of this gibberish? Is it an attempt to create a search engine presence so as to attract random viewers to a website? Whatever the case, I hope unusual and cruel things happen to whomever is responsible.

Comment system software now has spam detection that automatically blocks spammy postings. In the case of that Americans for Tax Reform comment, the person is trying to increase the search engine ranking of a URL for an Acai berry pill website and is using a script that creates these gibberish postings on lots of sites to slip past the spam filter so that he can link to his acai berry site. The more sites that have a link back to his site, the higher he rises in search engine rankings. That particular comment is botched, however, because that website doesn't have a "Website" field, so his link is not even there.

Occasionally I'll encounter seemingly random words and phrases on search engines and forums. An example:

Offence Limit,rain mean previously flow initial colour history village place civil reality powerful window membership therefore imply sound prison quick well better respond mother game immediately assume user tool business county priority letter notice with connect hope avoid should spread south propose growing paint mile remain roof further think here defendant source tall sexual meal sort tax direct can minister option his prevent old release increase now obtain climb both word alternative individual bottom channel demand under bind hold claim railway bad stick representative and proper

What is the purpose of this gibberish? Is it an attempt to create a search engine presence so as to attract random viewers to a website? Whatever the case, I hope unusual and cruel things happen to whomever is responsible.

It's a poison post. There are pieces of software that can analyze a block of text, like an e-mail message or a forum post, and determine if it's really someone writing something, or if it's just spam. These systems learn by reading other messages. One way that spammers use to reduce the effectiveness of these pieces of software is to use blocks of gibberish to confuse, and ultimately reduce the effectiveness of, the analytical model.

Archived