Walmart Distribution Center In Baytown

BayouCityGirl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we aren't that bad as some people think. Our Geographical location assists us a lot. No mountains to trap our pollutants like in LA. Our pollutants are allowed to diffuse into the air and become less of a hazard.

Also, just because the Toyotal plant meets the LEED criteria doesn't mean it doesn't pollute. It just meets there requirements (which is not hard to do).

Most coal electric plants meet the LEED criteria also. The older ones will meet it soon when W's energy bill is passed.

New facilities built in Houston have to perform better than the LEED criteria. So Toyota would have had to probably do more adjustments in there plant if located in Houston.

Yeah, we aren't that bad as some people think.  Our Geographical location assists us a lot.  No mountains to trap our pollutants like in LA.  Our pollutants are allowed to diffuse into the air and become less of a hazard.

Also, just because the Toyotal plant meets the LEED criteria doesn't mean it doesn't pollute.  It just meets there requirements (which is not hard to do).

Most coal electric plants meet the LEED criteria also.  The older ones will meet it soon when W's energy bill is passed.

New facilities built in Houston have to perform better than the LEED criteria.  So Toyota would have had to probably do more adjustments in there plant if located in Houston.

What the....

I think you may be talking about something entirely different kj. I've actually got a copy of the LEED standards (architect friend gave it to me), and it is not a simple process. The only LEED certified building in Houston is Spaw Glass. And I've never heard of a generating plant even attempting certification.

BTW, W's energy bill LESSENS standards on the environment. How does this make things better?

Hey, KJB, can you point out the coal plants you're talking about? I'll add the link to the LEED project list......

LEED Certified Project List

LEED and Coal and Steel Industries

I would admit that the actual facilities for coal will NOT be on the list, but the coal and steel industries are working closely with LEED groups to produce needed materials for recycling. Ever heard of lighweight or slag concrete. These concrete design mixes use the waste from coal and steel (smoke stake soot) to create mix supplements for concrete.

Often used in the construction of buildings especially if they want to obtain and LEED certification. The builder and architect can claim the use of recyled material such as fly ash (from coal) in there buildings. The coal plants and retrofitted coal plants trapped the pollutants produced and sell it off as fly ash. Coal industry is working to obtain some sort accolade for producing this waste (resource). The sheer amount of this stuff used in most concrete on exterior of new buildings helps many of them obtain the LEED or get them close to it.

If they didn't use this stuff they wouldn't be able to claim as much recycling credit for certification.

I'm also working on getting my LEED certification as an engineer. You need a fairly impressive resume to get this and it is very advantageous for career advancement.

A complany having someone who is LEED certified working for them can obtain some projects that were previouse out of reach for them to work on.

Coal and steel plants are to be commended for finding new uses for the waste they generate.

However, using fly ash in the concrete for my building to score LEED points is a far cry from saying a coal electric plant that produces the ash is LEED certified. Thanks for the clarification.

And, I still want to know what George W. "friend of the environment" Bush and his energy bill has to do with LEED. Is he proposing legislation to water down LEED standards, so his polluting buddies can claim to be environmentalists?

I am glad to hear you are studying for LEED certification yourself. The more architects and engineers that are certified, the more people there are to educate those who build buildings. I look forward to the day when we ask why a building isn't LEED in Houston, as opposed to talking about the one that is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Walmart Distribution Center In Baytown

Archived