Houston to Retrofit 271 City Buildings

Mayor White Announces a Project That Will Reduce Energy and Save Money

Mayor Bill White has announced that the City of Houston has embarked on a project expected to significantly improve the energy efficiency of 271 City buildings. Mayor White and the Houston City Council have signed a contract with Siemens and T.A.C. committing these 271 City facilities, totaling approximately 11 million square feet, to the Clinton Climate Initiative

• 1 year later...

Anyone see something wrong with this?

Mayor Bill White and the Houston City Council have signed a contract with Siemens (NYSE: SI) and T.A.C. committing approximately 11 million square feet to the Clinton Climate Initiative's (CCI) Energy Efficiency Building Retrofit Program.

The retrofit program will include 100 fire stations, 81 police stations, 34 health facilities, 5 Convention and Entertainment facilities, 40 libraries, 1 Municipal Court, and 10 general office facilities.

The City anticipates a greater than 20 percent reduction in annual utility and operating costs through the implementation of this energy efficiency and utility conservation retrofit program. This is a multi-year contract that is expected to result in millions of dollars in savings over several years and eliminate 68,000 tons of CO2 from our air annually.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS268868860520101109

Spend over a hundred million to cut less than a few million in operating costs?

Sounds good to me! smil41705962d6deb.gif

The only numbers I saw in the article was something like a 20% annual savings. I know when we look at retrofitting things, we look at the cost savings over a certain amount of years. So we don't see the number so we can't say if it's a good investment or not.

The only numbers I saw in the article was something like a 20% annual savings. I know when we look at retrofitting things, we look at the cost savings over a certain amount of years. So we don't see the number so we can't say if it's a good investment or not.

That's probably why they didn't print the numbers in the first place. That or they're still estimating the costs.