Do you like your job?

Subdude

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about your job?

• I love it and can't wait to get to work in the morning.
    • It's OK, I'm not complaining.
    • Eh, it's a job. Whatever.
    • It's kind of sucky and I don't like it.
    • Get me out of here! They're trying to kill me!

I like what I do, but the mornings come too fast and the weekends go by even faster...My vote was for #2. I'm in Sales and it can be good @ times but can also be a DRAG @other times. Overall, I like it and If I could be anything else, I think I would've gone with being a successful Architect.

In my experience, coworkers are a large factor in whether someone enjoys their job or not.

So True. I have two motivations on the job: I want the co-workers I like and trust to succeed, and the dickheads in my way to perish. I know it's wrong of me to approach it like that, but that's the way it is. My work life is a constant battle against deadline, aggression and incompetence. For some sick reason, I thrive at it. Not thrive enough to pull down the big bucks, mind you, since I'm also rather allergic to anything over a 60 hour week. Nevertheless I'm very protective of my people, who are awesome.

I've never had a boss and/or company that I haven't ended up working for multiple separate times. I consistently prefer my experiences the second time around. Part of that, I think, is that they (and I) have grown and matured over time, and that there's mutual appreciation there. Part of it is being a respected insider, someone with a history and wisdom worth conferring...and no small inkling of gossip.

However, the greater part of job performance and satisfaction (for me) is based on expectations being met or exceeded. I also find that experiential awareness of an employer's weaknesses ahead of time helps me to take them in stride, sometimes to the amazement of coworkers or superiors that are not used to seeing that kind of approach. And of course, the positive feedback and self-evident productivity reinforces my satisfaction and productivity.

The tricky thing, however, is managing lowered expectations. ...when the old SNL skit plays out in real life, it's easy to get drawn into a quagmire, whether at work or in one's personal life.

In my experience, coworkers are a large factor in whether someone enjoys their job or not.

The right manager can make a difference too. My boss is a bit of a puzzle. He has absolutely no interest in or understanding of what I do, so we very rarely even talk. On the one hand that can be disconcerting, but overall it is great to be let alone to get on with it. You couldn't ask for more autonomy.

I've never had a boss and/or company that I haven't ended up working for multiple separate times. I consistently prefer my experiences the second time around. Part of that, I think, is that they (and I) have grown and matured over time, and that there's mutual appreciation there. Part of it is being a respected insider, someone with a history and wisdom worth conferring...and no small inkling of gossip.

However, the greater part of job performance and satisfaction (for me) is based on expectations being met or exceeded. I also find that experiential awareness of an employer's weaknesses ahead of time helps me to take them in stride, sometimes to the amazement of coworkers or superiors that are not used to seeing that kind of approach. And of course, the positive feedback and self-evident productivity reinforces my satisfaction and productivity.

The tricky thing, however, is managing lowered expectations. ...when the old SNL skit plays out in real life, it's easy to get drawn into a quagmire, whether at work or in one's personal life.

i can find likable things about the worst manager. i might see an area of personal immaturity, but overlook it because they are knowledgeable in other areas, areas i need to learn. i'm usually called out by coworkers for "making excuses" or "defending management", when i usually understand the goal management wants to achieve and realize there are obstacles not everyone may be privy to

in response to your first paragraph, it's unusual to find people looking for opportunities to grow and mature. when you connect with people such as this, it can be very rewarding.

i can find likable things about the worst manager.

You're a better person than me. Either that, or I've had a lot worse managers than you. Sometimes it's hard to pick out which one was the worst.

Among the top contenders was a woman whose only redeeming quality was that she honestly believed that raising pit bulls in a tumbledown shed in her backyard qualified as a "small business" for which the government should give her a grant.

Archived