Podcast Of HAIF

ricco67

Our Gracious and esteemed host has stated that he would be willing to host a Podcast since I brought up a suggestion on a previous thread.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

Podcasting is a growing medium which covers a variety of topics (including 2 or 3 dedicated to Architecture!) in a discussion format akin to a radio show that is saved as an audio file such as a WMV or MP3 file that can be played on a variety of audio players (IPod, Ipaq, etc)

The Show is typically 10-20 minute discussion on the subject at hand (though, I've heard podcasts last as long as 1hr), the downside to this is the size of the file as well a the limit of topics that can be covered in a limited time. File sizes can range from 10 to 40megs! The equipment required to make a file such as this can be as simple as a Treo phone or a simple pc setup.

My suggestion is this; have SERIES of podcasts made by a variety of us on various topics that of our interests not only to us, but take into consideration that they will have to have a wider appeal and will be done on a monthly or bi-weekly basis.

I would broadcast on the happenings around town (Events, theater) and a heads up on traffic long term traffic (construction) conditions and major traffic events that are due for that month (such as the closure of 59 this weekend).

Something like that can be wrapped up in 10-15 minutes, however I would like a few of you to make pieces of interest to a few of you such as new constuction of buildings, openings, city codes, or whatever seems to be appropriate to those that might bring more people to our fair community and show people how grand Houston is.

I'm also suggesting that we have a goal of starting a podcast sometime in Sept. and hold a few meetings to settle on size, time, and topics that would be held as well as possibly getting sponsorship for HAIF.

All podcasts subject to review/revision/deletion by our Esteemed host for content.

How does this sound to you guys and girls?

Sounds good to me. I think we should go with the MP3 format since iPods don't handle Windows Media yet. I have no problem hosting the files and making a section for people to download them. Let's get the content going first, and worry about sponsorships later.

I've just started experimenting with listening to podcasts, and they seem promising. And the file sizes aren't nearly as big as I thought they would be. One MP3 I have is over nine hours long with a file size of just 500 megs. I bet 10-15 minutes could easily fit in a meg or less.

There's an article in MAKE: magazine this month about how to make your own Podcast. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but plan to.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested if it were something in the sorts that two senior members debate a hot topic on the board. While debating, they can use all the posts as talking points. Some of the conversations I wouldn't mind hearing:

• Fate of Shamrock Hotel
  • Fate of Astrodome
  • Katy Freeway Project Impact
  • Grand Parkway Project (for you Pineda!!)
  • Main St. Corridor News

Maybe once a week have the discussion. The thing is, I doubt I'd take the time to upload it into my iPod, but rather will play in right here at home. Either way, I'm interested.

Well, I guess we got a couple of people that might be interested in doing something like this.

While I'm not entirely sure that if a debate format would work on such a format, it would be interesting to try if we have two people that are able to debate it in a thoughtful and eloquent way. This of course, involves thinking fast on your feet. :D

Perhaps we should discuss what exact topics you two would be interested in? Maybe arrange a meeting to flesh this out a bit more?

Forgive me if I'm stepping on toes, but I feel obligated to take a leadership role in this. I've listened to about 50 podcasts in the last couple of weeks and I think what we have to offer is much better than most of what's out there.

To get this started, I'll host the first one. I've already drawn up an outline of the content I can provide. The rest, I'm counting on everyone else for.

Just e-mail the file to podcast a t houstonarchitecture.info and I'll put it all together.

I'd like this to include as many members as possible. So even if you don't have anything profound to say, it would be nice to hear everyone's voices. For example, you can just say

"This is Ricco67 from the West Side and you're listening to the Houston Architecture Podcast."

or

"This is Montrose 1100 from The Heights, and you're listening to the Houston Architecture Podcast."

Most computers have microphones these days, and nearly all laptops have them built in.

Of course, anyone wanting to contribute something more substantial is more than welcome.

And if we have any budding musicians or GarageBand users, we could use a little bit of instrumental music for the intro and outro.

• 3 months later...
So I guess there is not enough interested in this eh? :(

i'm just seeing this post and very interested in it. i love listening to podcasts (and now videocasts) in iTunes.

how do i help?

also, i have a video camera and some editing experience and would be willing to work with someone on a weekly or monthly topic videocast.

Edited by bruce_oneal

I'd be glad to have you, or anyone else, help me with a Houston Architecture podcast. It's funny how so many people were so enthusiastic about the idea, and then when it came to actually contributing they all went silent.

Since that idea was originally floated, I've been asked to participate in an architecture podcast for another web site, and I'm in the process of shopping for the right equipment.

The way you, or anyone else, can help is to simply e-mail me audio files of segments for the podcast. I'll stich everything together over here.

I'd be glad to have you, or anyone else, help me with a Houston Architecture podcast. It's funny how so many people were so enthusiastic about the idea, and then when it came to actually contributing they all went silent.

Since that idea was originally floated, I've been asked to participate in an architecture podcast for another web site, and I'm in the process of shopping for the right equipment.

The way you, or anyone else, can help is to simply e-mail me audio files of segments for the podcast. I'll stich everything together over here.

yeah, getting to the actual work is always difficult.

when you say e-mail you segments, what do you mean exactly? i am just a participant here, not an administrator ... i am trying to understand you thinking and idea.

For example, if you lived in Montrose you might do a "Montrose Report" with information on the latest things going on there. Or if you are a big skyscraper fan, you could talk about the city's skyscrapers. It would be great if we could have someone to give a rundown of the latest new project announcements.

For example, if you lived in Montrose you might do a "Montrose Report" with information on the latest things going on there. Or if you are a big skyscraper fan, you could talk about the city's skyscrapers. It would be great if we could have someone to give a rundown of the latest new project announcements.

ok. cool. even if the news is just headlines and synopsis from local neighborhood rags?

i'd like to help but not sure what i would/ could do.

Same here. I've never listened to a podcast so I can just imagine what you're all talking about. I'll need to get a microphone but if it's just another version of audio reporting then I can try to come up with something from my end of town, maybe a "man on the streets" or something.

Would this be something like a monthly audio newsletter or just constant segments being added all the time?

• 2 weeks later...
ok. cool. even if the news is just headlines and synopsis from local neighborhood rags?

That would be fine. Especially at first, I don't think we're in a position to be picky.

Same here. I've never listened to a podcast so I can just imagine what you're all talking about. I'll need to get a microphone but if it's just another version of audio reporting then I can try to come up with something from my end of town, maybe a "man on the streets" or something.

Would this be something like a monthly audio newsletter or just constant segments being added all the time?

I think it would be a combination. It can be whatever we want.

• 2 weeks later...

Why didn't I read this topic earlier? :)

Any way I could help! I do have a mic., so all I need to learn how to do is record my lovly, and oh so charming voice (yeah right) and figure out how to host it, and send it in.

I have no clue what a Pod Cast is, or any of this technology stuff, But I'll do my own research.

http://www.podomatic.com/user/register/podcast (?)

Edited by Montrose1100

• 3 weeks later...