THIS is what a beautiful city looks like!

haha, that made me laugh.

Question...can you show us what the top three best skyscrapers are in Atlanta? And you don't have to, but if you want, you can tell us why, too.

Thanks

Would it matter either way? I mean, this is only a matter of opinion.

I just love the more modern look of Atlanta. I love how the architecture is more elaborate and elegant. Probably not what everyone would consider the best, but some of my favorites are:

Bank of America Plaza

wg-bank-of-america-5.jpg

http://cf.juggle-images.com/fit/white/600x600/wg-bank-of-america-5.jpg

One Atlantic Center (IBM Tower)

oneatlantaiccenter.jpg

http://www.officespa...ntaiccenter.jpg

191 Peachtree

19411414_57e0efcc37.jpg

http://farm1.static...._57e0efcc37.jpg

Some of Atlanta's newer buildings:

The Sovereign

3046906198_03a3b19fe6.jpg

http://farm4.static...._03a3b19fe6.jpg

1180 Peachtree

ybMEM8o7fWFBWpR7.jpg

http://www.contentwi...8o7fWFBWpR7.jpg

I dunno why you started a thread like this on a Houston forum, but while the architecture of most of Atlanta's tallest buildings puts most cities in its peer group to shame, there are certainly ugly sides of the city as well. Many neighborhoods of Atlanta look like half-abandoned small towns in East Texas, only with more trees. On top of that, while Midtown Atlanta is very nice, Downtown Atlanta looks quite dated from street level because little has been done to improve it in the past 20 years. The area around Centennial Park is the only notable exception to this. I would also not like having Atlanta's homelessness and aggressive panhandling problem.

I dunno why you started a thread like this on a Houston forum, but while the architecture of most of Atlanta's tallest buildings puts most cities in its peer group to shame, there are certainly ugly sides of the city as well. Many neighborhoods of Atlanta look like half-abandoned small towns in East Texas, only with more trees. On top of that, while Midtown Atlanta is very nice, Downtown Atlanta looks quite dated from street level because little has been done to improve it in the past 20 years. The area around Centennial Park is the only notable exception to this. I would also not like having Atlanta's homelessness and aggressive panhandling problem.

All cities have their "ugly" parts (though there isn't much ugly in Atlanta, IMO), but unlike other cities, MOST of Houston is pretty ugly and bland. I come from one of the ugliest neighborhoods in Houston.

They're completely different in my opinion. If someone's showing you around Houston, they have to tell where to go if you want to see something pretty. In Atlanta, they have to tell you where to go if you want to see something ugly. The city is just downright gorgeous with all the hills and the trees. The natural beauty of the area makes even the worst areas look better than Houston, IMO.

What comes from butts? Defecate. Houston wins.

Heritage Plaza is gross. I hate that Lego building.

HeritagePlaza-002.jpg

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/HAI/Images/Buildings/Downtown/HeritagePlaza-002.jpg

Yes, and btw, the photo you linked to was twenty-some-odd years old.

Try this one.

houston-downtown-night.jpg

...or this one.

commerce-towers.jpg

...or this one.

houston-nightlife.jpg

...or this one.

1245331938_d5053a4b05_o.jpg

...or this one (not doctored).

HOUESES_Embassy_Suites_Houston-Near_the_Galleria_home_right.jpg

...or this one.

Westin_Galleria_Houston.jpg

...or this one.

williams_tower_fountain_grunge_large.jpg

Thanks for those photos, Niche.

Setteghastly, Although I'm originally from H-town, I've lived in the heart of Atlanta for the past 6 years & would agree that it is surprisingly a naturally beautiful city with great architecture and attention to detail. However I would also have to point out that Atlanta has just as much "ugly" as Houston does. IMO Atlanta just does a magnificent job of hiding its ugly & Houston does an equally magnificent job of hiding its beauty! It helps that Atlanta has all those towering trees to be able to hide its uglier areas behind. Apart from those rolling hills in ATL, north Houston/Memorial area isn't all too different.

As far as architecture goes, Its a far stretch to say that Atlanta "defecates" on Houston. I think the two cities are very competitive. Its just a matter of opinion and preferences for different architectural styles. If you're into the church steeple spires on top of every building, then Atlanta is probably your city. However IMO Houston has a more modern cohesive skyline. Although Houston is dominated by flat-roof towers it still has its share of crowns. Examples include: Bank of America Plaza, Continental Center, Heritage Plaza, Transco Tower, St. Lukes Tower (Med Center) & Four Leaf towers (Uptown). I've often thought to myself that Atlanta has way too many towers with spires on top and could use a little more variety.

Now where I would give Atlanta a clear advantage is in its night-time lighting scheme! Hopefully with the addition a Mainplace, Discovery Tower, OPP and the new Med Center towers Houston can step its night-time game up a notch but it still needs to turn the lights back on at Enron II, do something to highlight the crown on Heritage Plaza, and ditch the Christmas lights on all the other buildings (except maybe during the Christmas Holidays).

Again, just my opinion!

Setteghastly, Although I'm originally from H-town, I've lived in the heart of Atlanta for the past 6 years & would agree that it is surprisingly a naturally beautiful city with great architecture and attention to detail. However I would also have to point out that Atlanta has just as much "ugly" as Houston does. IMO Atlanta just does a magnificent job of hiding its ugly & Houston does an equally magnificent job of hiding its beauty! It helps that Atlanta has all those towering trees to be able to hide its uglier areas behind. Apart from those rolling hills in ATL, north Houston/Memorial area isn't all too different.

As far as architecture goes, Its a far stretch to say that Atlanta "defecates" on Houston. I think the two cities are very competitive. Its just a matter of opinion and preferences for different architectural styles. If you're into the church steeple spires on top of every building, then Atlanta is probably your city. However IMO Houston has a more modern cohesive skyline. Although Houston is dominated by flat-roof towers it still has its share of crowns. Examples include: Bank of America Plaza, Continental Center, Heritage Plaza, Transco Tower, St. Lukes Tower (Med Center) & Four Leaf towers (Uptown). I've often thought to myself that Atlanta has way too many towers with spires on top and could use a little more variety.

Now where I would give Atlanta a clear advantage is in its night-time lighting scheme! Hopefully with the addition a Mainplace, Discovery Tower, OPP and the new Med Center towers Houston can step its night-time game up a notch but it still needs to turn the lights back on at Enron II, do something to highlight the crown on Heritage Plaza, and ditch the Christmas lights on all the other buildings (except maybe during the Christmas Holidays).

Again, just my opinion!

I just think Houston didn't try hard enough to be as attractive as it could be. The combination of flat terrain, bland architecture, billboards, concrete everywhere, lack of zoning, etc. just sickens me. It was always kind of embarrassing to have friends and family visit me in Houston. I LOVE showing off Atlanta to friends, though.

Archived