Airports as Intermodal hubs?

I ran across this article today at USAToday.com: Link.

Basically it seems that airports in the US are trying to become hubs for various modes of transportation like their European counterparts.

The thing that caught my attention is that they seem to be anxious to hook up light rail to the airports, but it doesn't say if they are going to try to shell out money to do so or not.

Anyway, it's an interesting read.

Like any major construction project, light rail links to airports tend to be paid for by many groups. Usually the city and the feds. Sometimes the county will chip in, along with the airport authority, or a regional development group. I don't know if the FAA ever gets involved, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Seattle hooked up its light rail to the airport about six months ago. Lots of other cities are doing the same, or if they have a subway, doing that.

One of the things that Chicago touts when it's trying to lure businesses to the city is the fact that it's the only city in North America with subway lines directly to two airports (and if Peotone airport gets built, the trains will be extended there). I once asked someone in a position to know these things if that's a real selling point for attracting businesses, or if it's just hype, and she told me that it really is a strong selling point and makes a big difference to a lot of companies. Go figure.

I ran across this article today at USAToday.com: Link.

Basically it seems that airports in the US are trying to become hubs for various modes of transportation like their European counterparts.

The thing that caught my attention is that they seem to be anxious to hook up light rail to the airports, but it doesn't say if they are going to try to shell out money to do so or not.

Anyway, it's an interesting read.

Although many airports might be intermodal in the sense that they might have taxis, rental cars, buses, shuttles, highway and train and/or subway service, they are still located on the peripheries of cities. They are more like well-connected destinations than true hubs. It is unlikely that anyone would take a train to the airport to make a bus connection for instance.

I would agree that rail service to airports is critical. This is especially the case for businessmen who might want to fly in and take a train to the downtown rather than rent a car and navigate local traffic.

I would agree that rail service to airports is critical. This is especially the case for businessmen who might want to fly in and take a train to the downtown rather than rent a car and navigate local traffic.

This is definitely the case for me. I hate renting cars and having to drive and park on business trips, and taxis are just a smelly unwanted conversation to avoid. But, like you said it's simply a destination, not a transfer point (except from plane to train).

A few cities have been able to make airports into something like an intermodal hub. But these are often places where there is a large population spread in one particular direction outside of downtown and the airport is located in the middle of it. Amsterdam comes to mind. I think Orly might fit this description, too, but I haven't really been through there enough to say for sure.