Feedback On Galleria/West Side Townhomes

MikeO

I'm looking to buy a townhouse (hopefully for under $200,000) in one of the established townhouse communities in the Galleria / West Houston area. ("Established" because I don't want to deal with builders or developers.)

I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad, from people who are familiar with the townhouse communities in this area -- from the Briar-sphere (Briargrove, Briarwest, etc) to Bering / Augusta, to Wilcrest / Kirkwood / Dairy Ashford.

Which developments have HOAs that are tyrannical, divided, or broke,which have the higher owner-occupancy rates, and so on.

Since I have been thinking like a buyer, rather than a renter, I'm noticing that several townhouse complexes which I used to consider "nice" are now looking a little rough when it comes to the physical plant. Paint is peeling, wood trim is rotting, shingles are loose, etc. Could this be a sign that HOA dues aren't getting paid because of the recession?

I would welcome any thoughts or feedback.

Edited by MikeO

• 1 year later...

I can tell you my past experience.

I bought my townhome back in 2003, and live right where housing goes from affordable to expensive, Fountainview/Westheimer.

It was on the market for $135K, I moved in for $110K with all the issues I found. I got a great home, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath with an attached 2 car garage. The home itself was 2,500 sq ft. My low HOA fees have not changed since I moved in.

My thoughts, if this is long term, and you are accepting of living in a house that needs renovations and moderate repairs and upgrades, go for one of the older homes that is larger. You can always fix a large townhome to be nice, but you can't make a nice townhome larger, (since most have common walls with neighbors).

Edited by Pumapayam

Thanks for the response.

Not to be too forward, but how much are your maintenance fees in that area? I was looking at a place on Yorktown not too far from Westheimer and turns out the grounds want $720 a month for maintenance fees. I walked the area and I am not too sure for what, there are just some trees and bushes.

Also, how does the Foutainview area feel if one were to walk it at night?

Thanks for the response.

Not to be too forward, but how much are your maintenance fees in that area? I was looking at a place on Yorktown not too far from Westheimer and turns out the grounds want $720 a month for maintenance fees. I walked the area and I am not too sure for what, there are just some trees and bushes.

We pay $225/month, and it includes common area electricity, flood/fire/wind/liability insurance, landscaping, pool maintenance, gate, improvements.

Also, how does the Foutainview area feel if one were to walk it at night?

Other than the intersection toll booth clerks, (harmess homeless people), no issues, I run at night, walk to the HEB, Starbucks, and even walked to the Galleria a few times when the weather is nice.

Been VERY happy living here, location...location...location.

It's nice to be home when others are still waiting in traffic going to Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress, etc.

Edited by Pumapayam

We pay $225/month, and it includes common area electricity, flood/fire/wind/liability insurance, landscaping, pool maintenance, gate, improvements.

That actually sounds like a steal rather than a burden.

Other than the intersection toll booth clerks, (harmess homeless people), no issues, I run at night, walk to the HEB, Starbucks, and even walked to the Galleria a few times when the weather is nice.

Haha, yea I have seen the local transients and that's a new way to look at them. I'm not sure if they are harmless, they lower home values, which in turns lowers the property tax income, which in turn means the government has less money to develop areas and or help people like them and so on... but that is a debate for another thread I think.

Been VERY happy living here, location...location...location.

It's nice to be home when others are still waiting in traffic going to Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress, etc.

I can not agree with you more about this. I know people who end up commuting 2 hours a day from Katy and that is not a life that I want to even think about.

• The title was changed to Feedback On Galleria/West Side Townhomes