36 hours in houston

rgr

i don't think anyone's covered this yet, but not a bad article in the new york times travel section:

http://travel.nytime...el/09hours.html

They did, but it got listed in the mod section.

Interesting article, but it seems to me this writer just tread on the same old ground that every travel writer has been before. And while the tone of the article was generally positive, it appeared he couldn't help but dig in with the typical New Yorker sneer: "And the view from an airplane isn’t exactly inviting: a flat and featureless plain of generic towers sprawling into the horizon." In the same paragraph, he also made sure to mention Enron, as if that dead company defined the city. As we all are aware, NYC has never had a corporation that has violated business ethics codes.

I think it was a pretty good piece mostly because of the things they selected. It could have been a much stupider list if it were a lesser writer, imo.

I suppose. Still though, it seems every travel article about Houston has the same general outline:

1. I bet when I say "Houston", all you can think of is ugly and flat and hot.

2. Well, you're right, but it also has cool things that oil money bought.

3. It has Montrose! (complete with gays and other trendy things.)

4. The Menil: brought to you by oil money.

5. The Galleria is a freakin' big mall!

6. Restaurants, restaurants, restaurants, all either in the loop or within the Galleria area.

7. That's it. Nothing more to see here.

This one was different in that it included a blurb about architecture (brought to you by lack of regulations and oil money) and Disco Green (brought to you by a dig at how dead Houston's downtown is).

Archived