Flamingo Isle

link: http://citemag.org/w...Webb_Cite59.pdf

...one of those mysteries I had as a kid, wondering what it was, way out on the horizon, on the many drives into Galveston, now solved.

The pink bird looked cool at night, all lit up.

Is that just to the south and west of Bayou Vista?

As someone who's kayaked and canoed extensively along that area, I can't say it's upsetting this didn't get built.

Oh, but it did! (eventually)

And as someone who's also kayaked extensively along that area, I don't care.

Wtf. When did that happen? I didn't think this type of development was even allowable anymore (protected wetlands and all... which I already am aware you don't give a crap about).

Wtf. When did that happen? I didn't think this type of development was even allowable anymore (protected wetlands and all... which I already am aware you don't give a crap about).

You must not have kayaked that area very extensively in about the last five years. The area now occupied by Harborwalk had long ago been dredged and bulkheaded. The damage to the marsh had already been done, and that's why I don't care. (But if you'd read the article and looked at its aerial photos, you'd probably have gathered that by now.)

You must not have kayaked that area very extensively in about the last five years. The area now occupied by Harborwalk had long ago been dredged and bulkheaded. The damage to the marsh had already been done, and that's why I don't care. (But if you'd read the article and looked at its aerial photos, you'd probably have gathered that by now.)

You got me. I didn't read the article, and I'd never looked at any aerials before yesterday. It must look much different from sea level. I've paddled down there many times, but I really don't recall ever noticing this development.

You got me. I didn't read the article, and I'd never looked at any aerials before yesterday. It must look much different from sea level. I've paddled down there many times, but I really don't recall ever noticing this development.

There's this crop of uniformly tall single-family homes that jut out from the low landscape around it. Its hard not to notice it, even from miles and miles away. I've paddled all around Tiki Island (on account of that my parents lived there for a year after Ike hit) and Harborwalk made an excellent visual reference for determining my location.

There's this crop of uniformly tall single-family homes that jut out from the low landscape around it. Its hard not to notice it, even from miles and miles away. I've paddled all around Tiki Island (on account of that my parents lived there for a year after Ike hit) and Harborwalk made an excellent visual reference for determining my location.

Weird. My parents were in Bayou Vista which was my access point. I spent about five years in those waters, paddling in the marshes and to Galveston, and I never once noticed Harborwalk.

The Corps of Engineers totally cut off access to Flamingo Isle for several years. The Highland Bayou Diversionary Canal, dredged in the early 70's, cut the main road to Highway 6. Anyone needing to drive in or out had to go over private land back through the blimp base. The first thing the Harborwalk developers built was a bridge over the canal, however the bridge over the BNSF rail road tracks is original to the Mecom effort.

FYI, the Flamingo Isle Utility District is still in operation.

Archived