The Economics of Going Green

Of course, our local economists could have already told us this was true, but I found it interesting none the less.

...using sustainable materials may not actually be greener overall. (Transporting from South America or Asia, common providers of renewable materials, can use more fuel than the building will in years.)

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=7777

Using cradle to cradle life cycle materials and local strategies is definitely the long term spend thrift way to go. Use everything that is free and brought to your doorstep; like light, air, water, and earthen temperature insulation. Now if you could figure out some sort of cheap, modular, light weight, multi-passive, low skill laboring, virtual deployment system anywhere's in the US and still perform above and beyond energy code all the while providing an architectural inspiration...

You've got yourself a billion dollar idea. My money's on bio foundations, carbon fiber composites, and coatings technologies.

Of course, our local economists could have already told us this was true, but I found it interesting none the less.

There's an error in logic with this statement:

44% of US greenhouse gas emissions are from heating and cooling buildings; using sustainable materials may not actually be greener overall. (Transporting from South America or Asia, common providers of renewable materials, can use more fuel than the building will in years.)

Perhaps, the referenced movie explained the concept better than the article, because this just doesn't make sense given the example. First, how many years? And, if there's a finite value on those years, then the word overall is misleading. Eventually it will be greener.

Using cradle to cradle life cycle materials and local strategies is definitely the long term spend thrift way to go. Use everything that is free and brought to your doorstep; like light, air, water, and earthen temperature insulation. Now if you could figure out some sort of cheap, modular, light weight, multi-passive, low skill laboring, virtual deployment system anywhere's in the US and still perform above and beyond energy code all the while providing an architectural inspiration...

You've got yourself a billion dollar idea. My money's on bio foundations, carbon fiber composites, and coatings technologies.

This article indirectly points towards some of the ideas I was talking about in terms of deployment strategies. Although not mentioned in the article, a great deal of credit towards the development of lightweight SIP's in the last 20 years has provided the structural integrity of these homes. Another issue especially in 3rd world countries, is that some elements are worth more to the refugees to be sold for cash as was the case in Shigeru Ban's tents. Therefore modules and monolith finishing elements should be big design factors.

Archived