District A Residents Get Look At Upcoming CIP Projects

http://www.chron.com...ws/6875999.html

Pretty bummed out about this.

District A residents get look at upcoming CIP projects

West Houston will soon be home to new public buildings and street upgrades, but residents heard other projects will wait longer than some would like at a public meeting in the area Feb. 18.

The gathering to discuss capital improvement projects in District A was hosted by council member Brenda Stardig, who was elected to that seat last fall.

Almost 100 people gathered at Candlelight Community Center to have their questions about street upgrades and drainage projects answered.

Officials gave updates on the following projects:

• Fire Station 90, at Park Row Boulevard and Langham Creek, is nearly complete.

• An expansion at Ring Neighborhood Library, 8835 Long Point Road, will begin this month and should be done this summer.

• Renovations at T.C. Jester Park, 4201 T.C. Jester Blvd., are underway and should be done this summer.

• Improvements to the intersection of Long Point and Blalock roads have begun and should be done this summer.

• The expansion of Oak Forest Branch Library, 13439 W. 43rd St., from 8,000 square feet to 12,000 should be done in November, officials said, with a likely opening in date in early 2011.

• The reconstruction of Brittmore Road from Interstate 10 to Hammerly Boulevard could start as early as March.

• Three water line replacements in the Woodlawn area could start as early as March.

• The repaving and widening of Pinemont Drive from T.C. Jester to Ella Boulevard could start as early as April.

“There’s a lot of work to be done in our community and we welcome your input and support,” Stardig said.

Chuck Davidson, past president of Spring Branch North Super Neighborhood, came to the meeting hoping to get the rebuilding of Gessner Road from Long Point to Neuens Road moved up.

Davidson said Gessner is deteriorating quickly and should be improved in 2011, where the project had been scheduled before being pushed back to 2013 last year. He also wanted to inquire about three other projects.

Officials told him they would look at each but did not commit to moving them.

“I’m hoping that the councilmember who lives in that area would be pushing to get things expedited a little more up the priority list,” he said, adding he plans a follow-up meeting with Stardig.

James Tillman, representing the city finance department, said the economic recession had resulted in many projects being delayed.

“Of course you always want to hear that things are farther up the line and not being put off, but we understand the situation,” said Robert Reyer, vice president of the north Super Neighborhood.

Other residents at the meeting were satisfied with what they heard.

Myrna Bray, Sandy Plasvk and other neighbors from Candlelight Woods came to inquire about the reconstruction of nearby Pinemont.

Plasvk said she thought repairs to storm sewers and water pipes in their neighborhood were part of the project but was told that was not the case.

“Apparently we need to resubmit that, but at least they heard us, told us where to submit them and how to do it,” she said.

Bray said she’s satisfied with the officials’ willingness to listen.

“It was a good meeting, and it was productive,” she said. “They did address our issues and let us give it to them in writing, so hopefully something will be done.” Tillman also showed residents how to file CIP requests online. This new capability will allow requests to be filed year-round, eliminating deadlines that cause ‘peaks and valleys’ in the assessment process, he said.

“I hope this makes this easier and adds a little more accountability,” said Tillman, the finance department’s CIP director.

Despite his other concerns, Davidson said online submissions will allow people to report problems when they occur rather than waiting for a months-distant deadline.

“Having it online facilitates more effective communication,” he said.

• 5 weeks later...

nada new. look at library funding, but it may be hard to find cause its always one of the first to go.

For Spring Shadows and the greater Spring Branch area, the next ten years will be a time of great change. All of the multi-year plans to improve our infrastructure will be underway. As has been the case for many sectors of Houston that have faced metamorphosis, there will be a tug of war between the excellent local neighborhoods that we enjoy and the purveyors of low quality rental units; between the white table cloth café’s that are starting to pop up and the food vendors working from converted school buses. Which will flourish and which will fail? In the 80’s and 90’s the tide was not in our favor. However, now things are starting to lean in our direction. I believe this is our decade and it is obvious to me that we currently have the momentum. I see a collective will to get things done around here among the various area leaders and that is a critical part of a successful outcome.

....between the white table cloth café’s that are starting to pop up and the food vendors working from converted school buses. Which will flourish and which will fail?.....

Can you tell me a little more about these white table cloth cafe's you speak of? I am in Shadow Oaks and cannot wait for some this renewal. I would love to have a local pub that has good craft beer and a good independent coffee shop to frequent with a book.

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me a little more about these white table cloth cafe's you speak of? I am in Shadow Oaks and cannot wait for some this renewal. I would love to have a local pub that has good craft beer and a good independent coffee shop to frequent with a book.

Hey, sorry it took so long to reply. The newest table cloth cafe that's just opened is an exciting one. Right next to Daddy's Pizza (which is amazing) is a new Mediterranean Cafe/Restaurant with a deck called Falafel. It's between Westray and Kempwood on Gessner.

Edited by SpringShadows

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry it took so long to reply. The newest table cloth cafe that's just opened is an exciting one. Right next to Daddy's Pizza (which is amazing) is a new Mediterranean Cafe/Restaurant with a deck called Falafel. It's between Westray and Kempwood on Gessner.

Thanks! I will have to check it out. Does anyone know if they are preparing to demolish the strip center at Gessner and I-10 where CiCi's was? I noticed that all the tenants are evacuating.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that it will be more medical buildings matching the style of the ones south of I-10, from north of I-10 to the New Memorial MRI that is essentially across the street from Mr. Carwash.

Okay, well that can't be too bad, I suppose. Sure beats another grocery store/strip center, etc. Not much crime and loitering occurring outside medical buildings.

Okay, well that can't be too bad, I suppose. Sure beats another grocery store/strip center, etc. Not much crime and loitering occurring outside medical buildings.

Yeah, it's really good news. Lots of doctors and nurses all wanting to live close to work. Also, lots of traffic from people who wouldn't normally come by this area. Which means more cafe's and restaurants.

• The title was changed to District A Residents Get Look At Upcoming CIP Projects