Anyone know of plans for a 25th anniversary Challenger memorial?

Simbha

Next January is the 25th anniversary of the Challenger disaster. This being 'Mission Control' and all, I thought there might be big plans for this anniversary as a memorial but I haven't heard of anything. I may just be out of the loop (likely).

I wasn't in the city in 1986, but I've heard of Jean Michael Jarre's concert, Rendez-Vous, held in April of that year. While not originally intended as a memorial, it's my understanding that this was considered to be one as it happened shortly after and was originally intended to feature Ron McNair playing sax from space. I was kind of thinking that it might be interesting to see another concert like this happen either on January 28 or April 5 (my vote would be for the former). It also happens that January 28, 2011 is a Friday so that makes it more likely (I think) that more people from the area would attend or watch. I think it shouldn't be a 'celebration' but rather a large-scale solemn event (or, maybe not).

Does anyone know of anything going on, and what do you all think of this idea?

no plans.

with the apollo disaster happening on 1/27, columbia on 2/1 and challenger on 1/28 this time of year is especially solemn for those in the industry. it would be difficult single out any of these.

A valid point, for sure, but our society often considers "25th anniversary" to be worthy of some formal acknowledgment. I think that occurrence coming up automatically singles out the Challenger incident over the others at this time.

A valid point, for sure, but our society often considers "25th anniversary" to be worthy of some formal acknowledgment. I think that occurrence coming up automatically singles out the Challenger incident over the others at this time.

It's the silver anniversary. Perhaps Jared, the Galleria of Jewelry, can offer some commemorative Challenger-shaped earrings.

our society often considers "25th anniversary" to be worthy of some formal acknowledgment.

Bear in mind, those that felt the tragedy most acutely were engineers. And, perhaps because they are familiar with number theory and as a group are notoriously skeptical of most things--including numerology--engineers cannot be counted as members of any society that places particular importance on the number 25.

Archived