City Commissioned Design Guidelines

I got this email-------

Monthly Meeting Focuses On City Commissioned Design Guidelines

Monthly Neartown Meeting Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 7:00 PM

Meeting Details:

As part of an educational program to stimulate appreciation of Houston's heritage and its historical districts and to clarify the intent of its current preservation ordinance the City has to date commissioned two design guides. These are for the Houston Heights and the four Montrose historic districts of Westmoreland, Avondale East and West and Audubon Place.

Jonathan Smulian , urban design and planning consultant and the author of these design guides will summarize and present the recently completed guide for the Montrose districts.

This is exciting-- The first design book was all about "naming" and "explaining" the architecture of the Heights (I bought my book online from Heights Civic) and how best to expand or renovate old houses in the neighborhood in a way that helped maintain the character of the neighborhood-- lots of schematic drawings of additions or porches or whatever are included. The new book will

do the same thing with four historic districts named. This little book is much more interesting than I'm making it sound. The whole concept of this book makes a nice reference for anyone

wanting to update a home in a designated historic neighborhood.

The guidelines are just suggestions, right?

yes only suggestions--if you live in a designated historic district you have to submit any changes that will be made to what is visible from the street--

the booklet not only provides information on the type of architecture your house is, but also that architectures history and then suggestions of

what additions might look best to carry on that type of architecture--but also what modern additions might work also--

i wish i had a picture of one of the pages to post---

Archived