Luke's Place At 9600 Fondren Rd.

I dont post very often but I stumbled upon this new soulfood restaurant in houston. It's called Lukes Place. They had the best gumbo i ever tasted and i ordered a hot sausage poboy as well. I think you all should check it out. The owner said she had been open only a couple of months but its worth a try. I believe they are located on the corner of fondren and braeswood. The parking is limited but it didn't matter to me. On the menu the address is 9600 fondren rd. houston , TX 77096 #713-988-6200.

The Cajun meatloaf was the first thing I had there and may have been the best. I had to ask what the secret ingredient was. She's never had the gumbo to serve when I've wanted to try it. The owner is from Nachitoches and has the meat pies on the menu but has never had them to serve when I wanted to order them, either. I'll keep going back because it's less than 5 minutes from me. Not the best soul food in town but definitely the best on the SW side.

I dont post very often but I stumbled upon this new soulfood restaurant in houston. It's called Lukes Place. They had the best gumbo i ever tasted and i ordered a hot sausage poboy as well. I think you all should check it out. The owner said she had been open only a couple of months but its worth a try. I believe they are located on the corner of fondren and braeswood. The parking is limited but it didn't matter to me. On the menu the address is 9600 fondren rd. houston , TX 77096 #713-988-6200.

I checked the reviews on B-4-U-Eat. Sounds like my kind of place... steaks with bow-legged gravy & ox tails... Yeah! See you at Luke's ...

• 1 month later...

The Cajun meatloaf was the first thing I had there and may have been the best. I had to ask what the secret ingredient was. She's never had the gumbo to serve when I've wanted to try it. The owner is from Nachitoches and has the meat pies on the menu but has never had them to serve when I wanted to order them, either. I'll keep going back because it's less than 5 minutes from me. Not the best soul food in town but definitely the best on the SW side.

They now have gumbo Fridays. You should also try their hotsausage poboy.

They now have gumbo Fridays. You should also try their hotsausage poboy.

Thanks. I've had the gumbo - very good. Maybe the best in this end of town, I don't know because it's been quite a while since I tried any gumbo out this way.

I'll have to try the po'boy. A chaurice or what? Now they need to do a roast beef po'boy and the one that's even scarcer on Houston menus, a hamburger po'boy.

They had a guy out on S. Braeswood the other day, with a signboard and passing out leaflets or coupons (I didn't get one). Sure are nice folks.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Luke's last Friday on my way home as I took a detour through the SW side to avoid the traffic caused by that tanker truck accident in Bellaire. The oxtails and gravy passed my taste test with flying colors. The cornbread was sweet and had almost a cake-like consistency. I'll have to try the gumbo the next time I'm there.

• 4 months later...

Gone. Kaput. All She Wrote. Stopped by there today and nothing but some cabinets. It's been only 5 or 6 weeks since I was there. Really a bummer; very nice folks, food was so good and so convenient to me but not a good location, inconvenient parking and almost invisible signage.

Also, the Chill Grill, another family-run little diner on Hillcroft at West Airport has closed; it was Cajun too.

I'm really looking forward to the Cajun Made Cafe, 7950 W. Bellfort, one block west of Fondren, where there was a Frenchy's store-front for a few months. Should be opening soon. A teaser flyer in the window says 'Fresh, Hot Hog Cracklings Everyday' plus a lot of other good stuff.

Also, around the corner on Fondren, next to the Chevron station on the corner, is Sno Dreamz, a NOLA style snoball place - the real deal. It's been open a couple of months. Really nice folks there, too.

• The title was changed to Luke's Place At 9600 Fondren Rd.

Archived