Extreme Makeover Home Edition In Kemah

editor

I'm not a fan of the show or the host, but it's worth noting that Extreme Makeover Home Edition is shooting in Kemah this week.

The show is building a new home for the Beach family, whose home was destroyed by Hurricane Ike. The Beaches have four children of their own, and nine adopted children.

The public is asked to come out to show support.

According to Visit Houston, Texas "Park at the Kemah Boardwalk (no charge) and take shuttles from the old city hall lot and lots under the big bridge."

Well deserved. I've often wondered how these homes they build in such a short time span hold up through the years. It's easy to make a home appear nice but it could turn into a nightmare real fast. Of course you could probably say the same about many Houston area homes. 

One problem is property tax. They take a family that's already been stretched thin, and then dramatically increase their home value so the taxes go way up. Some of the families have chosen to sell the house.

Nice find Wayne. I will post it for my fellow neighbors on facebook if they want to go out and support them.

'Extreme Makeover' building Kemah family new home

Just think how many more families this show could have helped if it had focused its efforts on a Habitat for Humanity type of approach. Instead of building one mansion for one family... build many regular houses, for many families, that are in need... Or... just improve homes vs. tearing them down and building new McMansions.

Just think how many more families this show could have helped if it had focused its efforts on a Habitat for Humanity type of approach. Instead of building one mansion for one family... build many regular houses, for many families, that are in need... Or... just improve homes vs. tearing them down and building new McMansions.

Ratings Bryan! It's all about ratings.  :P

Exactly. The soccer moms watching Ty Pennington have never even heard of Jimmy Carter.

...and that's kinda sad, actually. It is surprising how grateful some people/families are with just a marginal improvement in their lives/living arrangements. Instead, this show seeks to saddle them with heavy tax bills, putting them into homes many times that they can't afford. This show, when it first started, was along those lines (just improving homes). Then, it was all about tearing down and building huge homes. OK. Whatever.

• The title was changed to Extreme Makeover Home Edition In Kemah

Archived