Commute To Galveston From West Houston

If she's any good at being a grad student, she won't have time for that anyway. I certainly didn't have a realistic expectation of the massive workload and sacrifices required prior to becoming a grad student or otherwise I'd never have done it. I have a feeling the OP and his girlfriend don't understand the necessary commitment either. Ten hours a week of lost study time due to driving is huge. If he's worried their relationship won't last without him seeing her three or four days a week, then they have far larger problems then that anyhow though.

I really don't know what more to say. The solution seems simple to me. It's only for two years, and it's not as if they're going to go months without seeing each other. Rent an apartment, get roommates, whatever. Her head should be buried in a book anyhow, not scouring the streets looking for a hook-up.

I appreciate the concern about the status and longevity of the relationship, but that is not in doubt. Every other week, I'd probably stay out at the Galveston apartment or spare room (from a friend) with her if that became an option to consider. The root of the question remains my biggest question to the HAIF community, which is - the fastest route from west Houston to Galveston that doesn't take tollroad, during 7am and 5pm commuting time. The latest proposal to perhaps avoid I-45 and go to south on 288 and then east on Highway 6 is very interesting... Has anyone done this to see if it cuts off any time?

From I-10 all the way over to 45 you pass thru only 3 toll plazas on BW8, at Briarforest, just before 288 and around Wayside; EZ Tag toll for each is $1.30 (this will undoubtedly go up during the duration of this situation). I'm not sure about tolls to be paid on Westpark but here is the HCTRA page; don't overlook the .50 toll to transfer to BW8 from WP.

Suggested route then would be N to 10, E to BW 8, BW 8 to 45, etc. Tolls less than $4 one way which might pay for itself in gasoline savings over the longer, slower route via 6/90-A/610/45.

Another suggested route would be 6 south to 90-A or 59, N to the BW, then the BW feeders across the south side. Minimum 4 lanes at all times, long stretches between intersections but I have no idea how much traffic there is through there in rush hours. You might try driving it to see how it goes; should save miles over the route using 90-A to 610, and avoid some traffic, but counter that with the traffic and lights along the feeder.

Edit to add: I'm not in that area as much as some others here on HAIF but I find the worst part of 6 for traffic lights and speed traps to be east of 35.

Does anyone know HOW MUCH this would be exactly in toll costs?

https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_map/

Interactive map of the toll road system. Interestingly, it appears the tolls from south of the toll plaza at Briar Park over to I-45 South are only $2.60. There is probably a 75 cent toll to get on the toll road as well, bringing the total to around $3.35 each way. So, add perhaps $7.00 per day to gasoline for a 140 mile round trip. At $2.50 per gallon and 25 mpg, you're looking at $14 for gas and $7 for tolls. Once the price goes up to $3.50 per gallon, you're at nearly $20 for gas and $7 for tolls. $27 times 22 days per month is $594. I find it hard to believe that you cannot find a garage apartment or a student roommate for $600.

This daily commute is not going to be the cheapest alternative.

Suggested route then would be N to 10, E to BW 8, BW 8 to 45, etc. Tolls less than $4 one way which might pay for itself in gasoline savings over the longer, slower route via 6/90-A/610/45.

If the residence is inside of Highway 6 at Westheimer, it seems just taking Westheimer to BW8 would be quicker AND cheaper. I haven't lived on Westheimer since 1983 though, so I don't know how bad that stretch would be. It can't be that bad.

45 during rush hour is a parking lot inside the loop under the best of circumstances, regardless which direction you're headed. It's only moderately better from the loop to the beltway, but only in the outbound lanes. Even after that, all through Bay Area Blvd and Nasa Road 1, the traffic just plain sucks. The 25 mile stretch between Clear Lake and Galveston is the only section that can be remotely considered not horrible. And the worst part is you're stuck. Unlike 45 north, where you have quick and easy access to Hardy Toll Road and 59, the only parallel overflow street for 45 from Galveston is Highway 3, and trust me, you ain't gettin' nowhere fast on that stretch of concrete.

Reverse commuting on I-45 South is pretty easy-going. And I know. I've seen me do it. Anticipate a few back-ups near 610 and after BW8, but otherwise it's not that bad. You can bypass the BW8 congestion by exiting Scarsdale and staying on the feeder for a few miles before getting back on the freeway. By the time you pass Baybrook Mall, you're pretty much in the clear. Just watch out for Highway Patrol in Texas City and La Marque.

• The title was changed to Commute To Galveston From West Houston

Archived