Historic Houston Meetup Group

bachanon

haifers interested in houston's architectural heritage and culture are invited to join "historic houston meetup group".

meetup link

we will be attending greater houston preservation alliance (ghpa) walking tours, meeting in businesses making good use of historic structures and attending events where preservation or houston's history is the focus.

group input will determine future events. the first meetup will be the january 10th ghpa walking tour of the university of houston.

from ghpa website:

"Join the Walking Tours Program as we explore the architecture and rich history of the University of Houston's central campus. The tour follows the development of "Houston's University" from a night school to a major urban research university and the story of the Houstonians who helped create it.

Science and Engineering Research and Classroom Complex UH was founded in 1927 as a junior college meeting in borrowed rooms at San Jacinto High School, but it quickly grew into a four-year university and moved to its current campus, designed by the noted landscape architects Hare & Hare, in 1939. As enrollment skyrocketed after World War II, UH retained some of Houston's most famous architects, including John Staub, MacKie & Kamrath and Alfred C. Finn, to expand its original Art Deco campus. The result is a group of buildings ranging from the traditional deco Roy G. Cullen Memorial (1939) to César Pelli's modern Science and Engineering Research and Classroom Complex."

I attended the GHPA walk through University of St. Thomas-- It was very good--

I found that if I did just a small amount of research before hand, so that I could comment on the things we were shown, it would spark some additional information from the docent that wasn't part of the tour. All the more interesting!

As for "Meetup" -------it's been my experience that only a fraction of those who respond they will attend--actually attend--That's a shame-- but what can you do-

Still this is a great idea for a meetup! congrats!

I attended the GHPA walk through University of St. Thomas-- It was very good--

I found that if I did just a small amount of research before hand, so that I could comment on the things we were shown, it would spark some additional information from the docent that wasn't part of the tour. All the more interesting!

As for "Meetup" -------it's been my experience that only a fraction of those who respond they will attend--actually attend--That's a shame-- but what can you do-

Still this is a great idea for a meetup! congrats!

thanks. i'm new to meetup. i hope that meetups regarding architecture, houston, etc. will go hand in hand with our beloved haif.

enjoyed the university of houston meetup today. we had two non-haifers show up and both seemed interested in the february walking tour of the heights. one works with the grandson of carl kamrath and the other is new to houston. i really enjoyed it despite the cold.

historic houston meetup group meets february 14th in the heights and then march 14th downtown.

there are now 43 members of historic houston meetup group. meetup link

hope to see some of you guys there.

k

know it's really cold, and that affects who shows up------------but---------i'm a bit curious--what percentage of those that replied they would come

really DID show?

we had 4 maybe and 2 confirmed yes. 4 people showed. 2 were with me and 1 just emailed that he came, but he must have been late and missed the first tour.

both people who were on my tour say they plan on coming to the heights tour in february. one of my co-workers rsvped yes for the heights tour as well.

• 1 month later...

tomorrow is our second "historic houston meetup group" event!

we are attending the "greater houston preservation alliance" heights walking tour. you can find more information about the meetup at historic houston meetup group.

currently, we have 13 "yes" rsvps and 6 "maybe". if we continue to have 10 or more at each event, the meetup group will be able to schedule private tours.

tomorrow is our second "historic houston meetup group" event!

we are attending the "greater houston preservation alliance" heights walking tour. you can find more information about the meetup at historic houston meetup group.

currently, we have 13 "yes" rsvps and 6 "maybe". if we continue to have 10 or more at each event, the meetup group will be able to schedule private tours.

we had nine people show. the weather was perfect. a few of us headed over to waldo's coffee house after.

next month: "downtown's evolving skyline".

this year: a cemetery tour, a pub crawl (in significant historic structures of course), a home tour and more (tba). join us.

• 4 weeks later...

tomorrow's historic houston meetup group meets for a new ghpa downtown tour, "downtown's evolving skyline".

check out www.meetup.com under "historic houston" or www.ghpa.org for times and location.

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Meetup Group

Archived