Katy Unveils $25 Million Multipurpose Arena

Katy is probably going to eventually become like Plano and Sugarland. The town will begin to wise up and annex as much as it can within its ETJ and the population will grow because there are thousands of new homes being slated for construction within the five mile radius of the town center. Also, when I look at the old town center of Plano, I see the old town center of Katy. Not saying that this is a good or bad thing but that it is the nature of fringe development nowadays. I just hope that the zoning ordinances in Katy evolve so that the landscape looks a bit better.

One of the problems that I see in Plano is a lack of overall landscaping and Katy could have the same issues, especially since it hasn't been all that aggressive in annexing surrounding developments.

In somewhat related news, have any of you all seen the new Cy-Fair Athletic complex being built on Barker-Cypress near the new Cy Fair campus in NW Harris County? It's at the intersection of Barker-Cypress and West Roads. It has adopted the same architectural elements that you find in the AAC in Dallas and Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Not bad.

Katy cannot annex anything further. The Houston ETJ completely surrounds the city. Katy used whatever ETJ they already have. I think you'll start seeing more partnerships between Katy and Katy ISD for large projects out there.

Also, the Katy Mills mall could do something like First Colony or between the historic downtown Katy and I-10 they can build a large mixed used commercial residential area. That would be really cool for the town.

Not necessarily true. A TIRZ can happen in any location even those that are not considered lower income. There are now 22 such zones. They can be either city initiated on initiated by petition.

Some of the more afluent include: Uptown and Upper Kirby.

TIRZ info

• 3 months later...

"Katy cannot annex anything further. The Houston ETJ completely surrounds the city. Katy used whatever ETJ they already have. I think you'll start seeing more partnerships between Katy and Katy ISD for large projects out there.'

Katy can ask Houston for more land, but Houston has to approve it.

• 1 month later...
How many people will this arena be holding?

I haven't heard of a number, but it can hold a ton of people. (I was there for a v-ball games last night). The Merriell Merriell (sp?) (play on his name being on the building twice) building is just like a mini-Compact Center. Really, Katy ISD needs to watch it's spending budget (last times I heard it was one billion in the pot. Any new number?), it's getting to be more than extravagent.

Archived