Livery Stable On North Shepherd Dr.

24zulu

Does anyone remember the old livery stable located on the East side of North Shepherd Drive? It is long gone, now, but in it's day it was full of activity. I know it was open in the 1940's, but not sure when it was openned, or by who, etc. I do know that it had rows of tack, and harnesses displayed right on the street back then. One main barn that was really old, and several smaller out-barns. They bought and sold horses, and mules, wagons, and tack, and other livestock related items. My grandfather used to trade horses with them on a regular basis. I can't find any information on the old stable, or photos. Hope someone can help.

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about this. Have you tried historicaerials.com? They have aerial imagery back to 1957. Where on North Shepherd was it?

As memory serves me, it was in the vicinity of W. Parker Road & N. Shepherd. If you were North bound on N. Shepherd, it would be on the right hand side of the road. This was a big place, and of course, in those days agriculture was still king in Texas, so it was very busy. The saddles were stacked 2,3, high on the hitchin' rails, which were right on the edge of the street. They had harnesses, and wagons for sale, as well as horses, and mules, etc. There was some acreage associated with the place. To me, as a kid it looked like maybe 150 acres, or more. Good lead on the aerial maps, I'll sure give it a whirl, and let you know what I find. Thanks for the help!

As memory serves me, it was in the vicinity of W. Parker Road & N. Shepherd. If you were North bound on N. Shepherd, it would be on the right hand side of the road. This was a big place, and of course, in those days agriculture was still king in Texas, so it was very busy. The saddles were stacked 2,3, high on the hitchin' rails, which were right on the edge of the street. They had harnesses, and wagons for sale, as well as horses, and mules, etc. There was some acreage associated with the place. To me, as a kid it looked like maybe 150 acres, or more. Good lead on the aerial maps, I'll sure give it a whirl, and let you know what I find. Thanks for the help!

I believe I found the location on the historic aerial map site Marmer! The close up was too blurry to make out a positive I.D., however I did see the large parking lot, barns, and out buildings, big pastures that surrounded it, etc. So it appears it was South of the old West Little York Road, and on the Northeast corner of N. Shepherd & Millville Road. I sure thank you for the lead on this. Man, that old aerial photo brought back memories of how primitive that part of town was. When we went out there, it was an all day ride to the stable, with 4 - 5 horses necked together, and then the haggling. The return to my grandfather's house with 4 - 5 new, and unruly horses in tow for training. If you talk to old timers, I'm sure they remember my grandfather riding his horses all over the Heights, and surrounding areas. Always in his suit, and Bradford hat, with his cigar puffing smoke in the air. Even when he was working a rough horse, he wore his suit. Pretty sharp guy. If you run across anything else, drop me a line, and thanks!

• The title was changed to Livery Stable On North Shepherd Dr.

Archived