Need Recommendation for Sidewalk Repair/Replacement

Sidewalk in front of my house has been lifted by tree roots, cracked and repaired in some spots. I am looking for repair/re-level existing sidewalk, or replace entire sidewalk without damaging tree root system. I have contacted 4 companies - 3 never returned calls or provided estimates (after calling each back multiple times) and 1 provided what I thought was a very high estimate (based on in-laws costs in FL).

Has anyone had any positive experience, or can provide reference of a company that does good work at a reasonable price? Company should do work in inner loop.

Also, it is my understanding that a city permit is needed for any sidewalk work, even repair and replacement of existing sidewalk. Is this always true?

Thanks ahead of time.

permit required.

i am not surprised the lone estimate you got was pretty high, this is a job not a lot of companies want. you could find a mom and pop type guy to do it but you would have to pull the permit yourself as he will more then likely not be bonded with the city. if tree roots have heaved your walk, the city MAY NOT let you do anything with it anyway. they would rather leave the walks bad then potentially harm a tree. this has really become a problem in some parts in terms of new construction. the city will not hand over an occupancy letter with out the walks complete per plans, but the tree office will not allow you do the walks because of the trees. the tree office and the structural office will not even talk to each other.

as the home owner you can get the permit yourself and hire someone to do the work, buy the concrete yourself and just hire labor but in the end i think you would be better off leaving the walks alone.

i do the majority of my work inside the loop and i am sorry to say but this job would be one i would have to charge way to much to make it worth my time.

i am not surprised the lone estimate you got was pretty high, this is a job not a lot of companies want. you could find a mom and pop type guy to do it but you would have to pull the permit yourself as he will more then likely not be bonded with the city. if tree roots have heaved your walk, the city MAY NOT let you do anything with it anyway. they would rather leave the walks bad then potentially harm a tree. this has really become a problem in some parts in terms of new construction. the city will not hand over an occupancy letter with out the walks complete per plans, but the tree office will not allow you do the walks because of the trees. the tree office and the structural office will not even talk to each other.

as the home owner you can get the permit yourself and hire someone to do the work, buy the concrete yourself and just hire labor but in the end i think you would be better off leaving the walks alone.

i do the majority of my work inside the loop and i am sorry to say but this job would be one i would have to charge way to much to make it worth my time.

Thanks. That is what I suspected. I have seen several homes in the area remove their sidewalks entirely and replace with fine gravel, and reducing any effects on tree roots. Is this considered "sidewalk" and is a permit also required for this?

i am not 100% sure but i believe you have to permit something like that as well. call the city, structural can maybe answer your questions. 713-535-7800. ask to speak to a supervisor. (thats who i deal with anyway)

i know one of hte walks we did in the 5th ward they wanted us to bend around a tree and where adamant that we could not do decomposed granite or crushed stone or what not. once some large roots where found just under the surface of the ground, they allowed the builder to use decomposed granite inside a metal landscaping border but they where NOT HAPPY.

• 3 years later...

Archived