where to buy

nashvillenewbie

Hi everyone, been researching these boards for some time now, and found excellent advice when figuring out where to move to within Houston when I first came a couple of years ago. Well now I have decided to purchase a condo, I was wondering if you could share your thoughts as to areas. I want to live in the loop and have narrowed my choices to three areas: (1) heights, (2) upper kirby and (3) braeswood.

Heights: Pros - cheap; close to nightlife. Cons - cheap construction; endless supply of shacks and land = difficult resale value; also lots of crime compared to the other two areas.

Upper Kirby - Pros - close to bohemian lifestyle. Cons - would be smaller in square footage due to cost; no neighorhood feel (i.e. near to too many commericial locations).

Braes Heights - Pros - nice neighborhood feel and not too far from rice village and other places. Cons - would be smaller in square footage.

In particular, I have been looking at some pelican builders condos: (1) 4031 Bellefontaine (in braeswood) and (2) 3302 Audley (in Upper Kirby). These are easily searchable in Har if you want to take a look.

Any thoughts??!??!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi everyone, been researching these boards for some time now, and found excellent advice when figuring out where to move to within Houston when I first came a couple of years ago. Well now I have decided to purchase a condo, I was wondering if you could share your thoughts as to areas. I want to live in the loop and have narrowed my choices to three areas: (1) heights, (2) upper kirby and (3) braeswood.

Heights: Pros - cheap; close to nightlife. Cons - cheap construction; endless supply of shacks and land = difficult resale value; also lots of crime compared to the other two areas.

Upper Kirby - Pros - close to bohemian lifestyle. Cons - would be smaller in square footage due to cost; no neighorhood feel (i.e. near to too many commericial locations).

Braes Heights - Pros - nice neighborhood feel and not too far from rice village and other places. Cons - would be smaller in square footage.

In particular, I have been looking at some pelican builders condos: (1) 4031 Bellefontaine (in braeswood) and (2) 3302 Audley (in Upper Kirby). These are easily searchable in Har if you want to take a look.

Any thoughts??!??!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Architecturally, I like the Bellefontaines better. Also, I think 77025 is a more efficient market. The street-facing units will have better resale value (and, perhaps, a slightly better lifestyle). Beware the shared driveway, though.

In buying a condo, I would stay away from the Heights. (Really! Stay away! Shoo!). Being totally serious, the value of the area is built more on single-family houses, not on townhouses, so this seems not be a good fit with your search.

Good luck with your venture!

Architecturally, I like the Bellefontaines better. Also, I think 77025 is a more efficient market. The street-facing units will have better resale value (and, perhaps, a slightly better lifestyle). Beware the shared driveway, though.

In buying a condo, I would stay away from the Heights. (Really! Stay away! Shoo!). Being totally serious, the value of the area is built more on single-family houses, not on townhouses, so this seems not be a good fit with your search.

Good luck with your venture!

thanks....unfortunately the street facing ones are already sold. and if available, would probably got 30k more than the rest...

Another con on those homes is the HOA of 300 (which includes property insurance)....any experience/knowledge on ability to get these lowered? Such as if the condo owners vote to do so. 200 dollars a month on maintenance seems awfully high...

Eh, both are typical condo fare - new builds all look alike to me. I like the interior pictures of the Audleys better. No, I take it back. They're about equal.

Do you have a commute or driving that would favor one over the other? And find out exactly what the fees cover in each place..

Slightly OT - the Bellefontaine site used to be an apartment complex and the Audley a warehouse. Anyone remember those?

I have shown the townhomes on Bellefontaine to a client recently, and the quality is very good. The location is great with easy access to retail on Holcombe/Bellaire and access to the Village. The only downside is the size. These are pretty small units for the price. You may want to consider the Museum District as well. You can get the same quality for about the same price, and get over 2000SF.

I have shown the townhomes on Bellefontaine to a client recently, and the quality is very good. The location is great with easy access to retail on Holcombe/Bellaire and access to the Village. The only downside is the size. These are pretty small units for the price. You may want to consider the Museum District as well. You can get the same quality for about the same price, and get over 2000SF.

The places I have seen in museum district do not have good finishes....could you point me in the right direction? Perhaps I am looking at the wrong zip code?