Concord Communities Apartments

Guest danax

Guest danax

Has anyone else noticed these pale yellow and white Concord Communities around town. They have slanted roofs in an attempt to look stylish and exposed metal staircases. All of the examples I've seen, Little York and Airline, OST, Gulfgate, look identical. They've built them with, apparently, the cheapest materials and construction methods possible. The fine examples of workmanship down the street from Gulfgate looked ghetto from day 1. Literally the day they were finished there were multiple bubbles underneath the vinyl siding. Now, about 2 years later, all of the siding looks like it's about to pop off from so much bubbling underneath and there are other parts of the fascia falling off and hanging, about to drop on someone's head. The residents seem to have kept up their end of the maintenance but the buildings look like they've sitting there abandoned for 20 years.

It's appalling that stuff like this can pass inspections. Are there no real construction standards? I believe they contribute to an economic and aesthetic decline wherever they are.

Shame on you, whoever built these pieces of >>>>.

They're government housing. You know the type, the ones where the amount of rent you pay is based off your paycheck. I was told these are all prefabricated, and then stacked on top of each other to form 3 levels.

I've noticed the same 2 complexes you have, along with one on Westheimer just east of SH6. I believe there are a few more around town, but I either can't remember, or I am just not sure.

However, it doesn't surprise me that after 2 years, they are already falling apart.

Guest danax
They're government housing. You know the type, the ones where the amount of rent you pay is based off your paycheck.  I was told these are all prefabricated, and then stacked on top of each other to form 3 levels.

I've noticed the same 2 complexes you have, along with one on Westheimer just east of SH6. I believe there are a few more around town, but I either can't remember, or I am just not sure.

However, it doesn't surprise me that after 2 years, they are already falling apart.

By government housing I think you mean not built by the government but Section 8. I might sound heartless, but I'm an unabashed NIMBY when it comes to projects like this and Section 8 apartments in general. Is this an example of the kinds of developments we'll be getting once affordable housing becomes a political issue here in Houston like it has in LA and other locales, where government forces developers to supply a portion of their units to low income people to "make it fair"? The builders will either have to cut corners, get subsidized from tax money, or raise prices, if they can, and get subsidized from the market-priced buyers. Gas, grass or a..., no one rides for free.

One of my friends supervises some of these. From what I understand they are built by a company that builds mobile homes, (what a surprise!)

The units actually are pretty nice inside, for what they are. They are large anyway. The concept is to offer them at a more moderate price and the residents have to do a ton of paperwork and qualifying and annual requalifying. There is an income cap on what you can make, but the rent is the rent, it doesn't vary with your income. At least on the ones he has. The reality is in this market, the prices aren't all that different than what "regular" apartments are running. Slightly better, but not much. The real winner in all of it is the bizillionaire owners who get huge tax breaks, not the poor.

The ones he has are all 100%, which is unheard of in this market. People seem to like them I guess.

Of course I had to call my friend and tell him he was getting dogged on the internet for being a slumlord! :P

He was quick to inform me that Gulfgate was 100% and the rents for a one bedroom start at $695.00. I thought they were cheaper than that. "and there is NO fascia hanging down!"

Hmmm.... <_< better go walk it tomorrow because you are getting dogged! for it!

Guest danax
Of course I had to call my friend and tell him he was getting dogged on the internet for being a slumlord! :P

He was quick to inform me that Gulfgate was 100% and the rents for a one bedroom start at $695.00.

• 1 month later...

I looked at one of those complexes but wasn't told of any income restrictions. Like rps said, they are amazingly large and nice on the inside, but I've always had my hangups on them. There is no such thing as value-priced, large apartments that don't have 'consequences'. At least non that I've seen. When asking about any trouble at the complex I saw, the leasing girl said, "we've been here four months and have never had any complaints...I've worked at other complexes and got complaints everyday...I've been here two weeks and haven't heard anything." So, how does she know there were no problems in four months if she's only been there two weeks?

Anyway, I saw some concerns on apartmentratings.com

I looked at one of those complexes but wasn't told of any income restrictions.  Like rps said, they are amazingly large and nice on the inside, but I've always had my hangups on them.  There is no such thing as value-priced, large apartments that don't have 'consequences'.  At least non that I've seen.  When asking about any trouble at the complex I saw, the leasing girl said, "we've been here four months and have never had any complaints...I've worked at other complexes and got complaints everyday...I've been here two weeks and haven't heard anything."  So, how does she know there were no problems in four months if she's only been there two weeks?

Anyway, I saw some concerns on apartmentratings.com

I would take what you read about any complex on aptratings.com with a grain of salt. Maybe it is the old white-trash apartment manager in me, but a lot of what people put on there is nonsense. When you read the ones that say "they are so awful because they wouldn't let me break my lease" or "they kept my $50 deposit just because I left some junk in there.." then you know you are dealing with a less than neutral perspective. I have gone into properties and raised criteria and kicked out the groadies only to have somone put on there, "and now they are letting anyone in!" :blink: When I knew for a fact it was the opposite. Contact the local law enforcement agencies and find out what kind of 911 call history there is on the site.

He was quick to inform me that Gulfgate was 100% and the rents for a one bedroom start at $695.00.

Archived