Vinyl Siding in Houston?

What drawbacks are there to vinyl siding in Houston, other than the fact that it's an environmental disaster and less visually appealing than other options? I was looking at a house that has a good bit of it. The house was built in the early 1980's by a tract home builder ( Versailles Homes, I believe) that actually used it on their new constructon featuring Victorian influenced elevations. This house appears to have had it replaced at one time.

Not being porus, does it promote mold growth? Poorer insulation? The seams look really weird, they run vertically and they look like air can get in, I wonder if that is an attempt to vent?

If the vinyl siding was installed new then it's probably okay. It got a bad rap because people installed it over existing siding that was already deteriorating. Thus it was just a cover-up and what was under it continued to rot.  Certainly not as good as Hardi-plank and having had Masonite in the past and dealing with that crap, it's at least better than that stuff. 

Thanks all for the feedback. I believe I could live with it until it became damaged, at which time I would definately replace with Hardie. Good stuff. I agree with the comments about Masonite. I had a house years ago with that stuff and one panel reminded me of a cardboard box that that gotten wet and then dried. When he sold the house I planned on replacing it but the buyers asked for an allowance. The new owners didn't re-side for about 5 years lol..

Archived