Civic Club, Neighborhood Association, Deed Restrictions

sevfiv

The neighborhood I'm moving to doesn't have an active civic club or neighborhood association and I can't find any information about deed restrictions. I have asked the president of the local chamber of commerce and a longtime resident that publishes the local paper (the two most knowledgeable folks of the area as far as I know) and they aren't aware of anything except that a civic club had existed but she hadn't heard about it in a long time.

I am heading to the county clerk's office soon to get copies of whatever they have on file (probably expired deed restrictions) and will try to talk to neighbors about it, but does anyone have any other ideas or experiences with this? And I'm not sure if reviving a civic club (and deed restrictions) is in my future, but what would something like that entail? Also, while I have exhausted my archival resources, does anyone have other ideas of where to look?

Have you asked the surveyor or title company to give you a copy? They come up during the title search.

If there are no deed restrictions in place then to produce enforceable restrictions you would have to get every single home in the neighborhood to sign them. I wouldn't bet on that happening anywhere.

I am heading to the county clerk's office soon to get copies of whatever they have on file (probably expired deed restrictions) and will try to talk to neighbors about it, but does anyone have any other ideas or experiences with this? And I'm not sure if reviving a civic club (and deed restrictions) is in my future, but what would something like that entail? Also, while I have exhausted my archival resources, does anyone have other ideas of where to look?

ditto on title company. you're doing the right thing by going to the clerk's office. once you find them, you'll be able to tell whether they've expired. as for reviving deed restrictions, look in the state property code ch 201 and 204 and you'll find all you want to know about restrictions including the varying percentages needed to enact them.

it would be fairly easy to resurrect the civic club, esp if you find a few to help you.

Edited by musicman

The neighborhood I'm moving to doesn't have an active civic club or neighborhood association and I can't find any information about deed restrictions. I have asked the president of the local chamber of commerce and a longtime resident that publishes the local paper (the two most knowledgeable folks of the area as far as I know) and they aren't aware of anything except that a civic club had existed but she hadn't heard about it in a long time.

What hood are you talking about?

• 3 weeks later...

I am calling around to ask about a neighboring civic clubs' boundaries (found in the COH civic club database). Is there a way to request incorporation of an adjacent area?

While things are pretty unjunky around my house, someone just bought a house down the street and is at this very moment paving the backyard. Word is that he is going to rent out the house and use the new concrete backyard to park his "trucks." :blink:

to enact restrictions no.

you may be able to talk to marie flickinger at the leader. she knows many of the neighborhood reps on the se side and which are active. maybe look into the superneighbor over there as well for some guidance since it is a group of civic clubs in the southbelt area.

The county clerk's office will definitely have them if any ever existed. YOu might also check with your council member. If all else fails, you can try to do minimum lotsize and minimum building line protections for your block.

• The title was changed to Civic Club, Neighborhood Association, Deed Restrictions