Poured Terrazzo

rps324

Does anybody know if you can restore poured terrazzo that has had ceramic tile laid over it? I know restoring worn terrazzo can be done. But I was wondering if anybody had any experience with that or knows somebody good that can do that sort of work.

I have come across two houses with tons of poured terrazzo. One on Olympia in Walnut Bend, and another in Briar Meadow. The latter has it covered with horrible hunter green carpet. Turns out is was under the carpet in the formals and den, along with the bedroom hallway. They have glued carpet strips down, but covered the entry in cheezy ceramic tile. It was left alone in the kitchen/breakfast/utility and all the baths. It would be an incredible house with the terrazzo exposed and repaired.

International Stoneworks restores terrazzo

713-956-8291

The carpet on Windswept in Briar Meadow has kept that house from selling for years. They list it for sale but end up renting it. The yellow exterior paint also needs to be changed. Spending a few thousand dollars on the place would sell it quickly.

Briar Meadow is a great neighborhood. Like most Houston neighborhoods, the commercial surroundings are less than attractive but the subdivision itself is very well maintained and has an excellent home owners association. The location is very conveniant too. The area charter school is said to be good. The values in there have almost doubled in the last eight to ten years but it is still more affordable than Briargrove just a mile or so away and the houses in Briar Meadow are newer and larger too.

I wonder if the front court on Olympia is terrazzo under the brick pavers. Notice on the original plan I sent you it shows the court paving has been reconfigured by filling in the planter areas. It seems to have also lost the beautiful pierced metal "Bamascus" screen that divided the dining room and den area. That room is huge- 16'x52'. It has or had the childrens bedroom divided by a sliding wall. That was a common feature in the MCM's. Is it still like that? Willowisp has that feature also.

Note: Related posts moved to 10630 Olympia thread.

Notice on the original plan I sent you it shows the court paving has been reconfigured by filling in the planter areas.

SpaceAge, forgive my nosiness, but where did you come up with original plans for this house? I thought I saw a post by you before where you mentioned you had original plans to a Lars Bang house. Do you have broad access to other houses?

Reason I ask is I thought at one time that the city planning department would have plans on file (or microfiche) for houses, but when I asked them the question I was told they do not. I can spend hours looking at detailed floorplans for ideas, especially the really creative ones from this era.

Note: Related posts moved to 10630 Olympia thread.

Both the house in Briarmeadow & the one on Olympia hold great promise. The listing agent on Olympia told me the owner was considering getting rid of the flat roof and adding on. I about had a heart attack. Nooooooo!

It is so hard to find mods that have not been altered into oblivion, these two still retain enough original character. If the floors were restored, they would be great.

Does anybody know if you can restore poured terrazzo that has had ceramic tile laid over it?  I know restoring worn terrazzo can be done.  But I was wondering if anybody had any experience with that or knows somebody good that can do that sort of work.

I have come across two houses with tons of poured terrazzo.  One on Olympia in Walnut Bend, and another in Briar Meadow.  The latter has it covered with horrible hunter green carpet.  Turns out is was under the carpet in the formals and den, along with the bedroom hallway.  They have glued carpet strips down, but covered the entry in cheezy ceramic tile.  It was left alone in the kitchen/breakfast/utility and all the baths.    It would be an incredible house with the terrazzo exposed and repaired.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but here goes.

There's a show on HGTV called "Back to the Blueprint" (I think) and a recent episode showed the restoration of a mid-50s diner with terrazzo floors. A buffing machine was used to restore the original polish, and the restorer said "you can keep buffing until it's shiny enough, or until your arms fall off." The impression I have is that since terrazzo is of uniform composition and quite thick, there aren't the same concerns as sanding hardwood floors.

Barring major gouging, it seems to me that the terrazzo is there for anyone with the determination (and biceps) to uncover it.

• 1 year later...

I have a friend who needs his terrazzo floors redone.

They are mostly just dull looking but they are chipped and pitted in a few places.

Does anyone know the going rate to refinish terrazzo floors?

Does anyone have a good resource for refinishing them?

The house is in Spring Branch.

Thanks in advance.

I have a friend who needs his terrazzo floors redone.

They are mostly just dull looking but they are chipped and pitted in a few places.

Does anyone know the going rate to refinish terrazzo floors?

Does anyone have a good resource for refinishing them?

The house is in Spring Branch.

Thanks in advance.

It is fairly expensive, I don't remember how much. I got a referral from a Designer that uses Jerry with marble life 713-528-7787

It is fairly expensive, I don't remember how much. I got a referral from a Designer that uses Jerry with marble life 713-528-7787

i figured it might be pricey. ballpark guess?

thanks for the contact, i will pass it along.

i figured it might be pricey. ballpark guess?

thanks for the contact, i will pass it along.

I had my terrazzo tiles repolished by John Calarco 832-671-8298. It was just the entry (36sq ft) and the guest bath (30sq ft). It came to approximately $12/sq ft. The smaller spaces are harder to do because the polishing machine is a BIG piece of equipment. But I'm very glad I had them refinished because the terrazzo looks beautiful!

Archived